Odd Odometer Issue - 1984 Cutlass Calais

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDaddyStu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 1, 2017
Wisconsin
Hi all, hoping you can help / have seen something like this with a way to (hopefully easily) fix.

I took my 84 Cutlass Calais to work last week, it's finally SUMMER type weather in WI. Had it sitting with the T-Tops off all day in the sun and when I returned to leave for the day, I saw this small piece of 'paper' had slid in front of my odometer! I am assuming it's some sort of sticker/label that I'm seeing the back side that used to be stuck to the inside of the dash. But it is just sitting there and I tap on the dash to see if I can get it to shift left/right or fall through and disappear but nothing.

ANY HELP?? Anyone have this happen too? How hard is it to get to the dash module? Even if I do, it's probably sealed to the point where I can just try to turn it upside down and shake to get it to fall inside somewhere less visible??

Thank you in advance, any assistance is greatly appreciated...

Stu

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Most likely it could be a label that the glue dried up on and fell into the numbers area. Freak thing, huh?

Best way I know how to do it, if it indeed is paper, is to remove the gage surround and clear bezel, and with a bent plastic toothpick and tweezers or similar tools, try and pull the paper out of the front without scratching up your odometer numbers or gage facing. Or if worse comes to worse, remove the black metal bezel portion, remove the speedometer from the well, and fish it out from the back.

Weird.

Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Best way I know how to do it, if it indeed is paper, is to remove the gage surround and clear bezel, and with a bent plastic toothpick and tweezers or similar tools, try and pull the paper out of the front without scratching up your odometer numbers or gage facing. Or if worse comes to worse, remove the black metal bezel portion, remove the speedometer from the well, and fish it out from the back.

Agreed.

Hey if all else fails, you now have 40 miles on the car. MINT!! (as Freiberger would say)

Hutch

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I was going to suggest a bit of compressed air to dislodge it. But then I realized it could land in a worse place and cause mischief. I agree with opening the bezel and fishing it out. Even a bit of stickum on a pencil eraser would work.

BigDaddyStu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 1, 2017
Wisconsin
Most likely it could be a label that the glue dried up on and fell into the numbers area. Freak thing, huh?

Weird.

Awesome, thank you for your detailed thoughts on this. I want to do my best to first 'do no harm' and gradually get more drastic if at all possible.

Stu

BigDaddyStu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 1, 2017
Wisconsin
Thank you all for your input and equally entertaining responses. :giggle: That's why I'm getting more and more addicted to this awesome forum.

Update: While awaiting ideas from people and driving to work the last few days, the 'paper' has moved about 1/2" to the right - revealing another number. Perhaps I will watch it and see if it continues to slide out. But most likely, I will follow the advice as to how to remove (I don't want it falling down behind/inside the unit and actually messing something up as opposed to just being in the way).

Stu

Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
:p:p Oh No! Now the car has 400 miles on it. Losing value my friend. :LOL:

On a serious note, if you haven't done this before, check out this video.
It explains taking the Outer Dash Bezel off, among other things.

I also did a pictorial on refurbishing my Rally Gauges. https://gbodyforum.com/threads/1987-olds-442-project-build.55577/page-3

Between those two, that should be everything you need to get to that bugger. Prob knock it out in 20 minutes.

Hutch

Last edited:
  • Winner

BigDaddyStu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 1, 2017
Wisconsin
:p:p Oh No! Now the car has 400 miles on it. Losing value my friend. :LOL:

On a serious note, if you haven't done this before, check out this video.
It explains taking the Outer Dash Bezel off, among other things.

I also did a pictorial on refurbishing my Rally Gauges. https://gbodyforum.com/threads/1987-olds-442-project-build.55577/page-3

Between those two, that should be everything you need to get to that bugger. Prob knock it out in 20 minutes.

Hutch

Thank you Hutch! Awesome video and info - much appreciated.

Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor