Odometer reading???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
One owner can mean something, and sometimes it doesn't. My uncle bought plenty of new cars, but he never took care of them. He would flip his ashes at the ashtray, not in it, and seldom hit the mark. The entire carpeted transmission hump on his cars looked like napalm scars. Dirt? Grease? It'll wear itself off in about 100 years...

Nope, one owner cars don't always mean it's pristine. But if the owner was an OCD on keeping the car neat and clean...whole 'nuther story. Hope you get good mileage out of it. Congrats on getting a good one.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
So if the 1st zero has a number it means million miles, my 80 monte carlo has a 7 first digit?
No, first number zero means either actual miles follow, or it is 1XXXXX miles (or 2XXXXX, etc).

These cars record to 99,999.9, after that they rotate to all zeros and start over, meaning they are 100000+

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
So zero 070000 means 70k miles?
OK,so here is how it works....

If all 6 dials have the same color layout (usually black with a lighter colored numeral), it's a million-mile odometer, and it would be 70, 000

12027108_10207246173103267_7794906082066472355_o-jpg.156161

If the first 5 dials are all the same, and the one on the right has a different (usually reversed) color layout, it's a 100000 mile odometer, and the odd colored one is tenths of a mile. Then it would be 7000 miles (or 107,000...207000, etc.

45_p19_l.jpg

Million mile odometers in North American market cars typically began in the 1990s. All originally-equipped G bodies had 5-digit (+tenths) odometers

Of course, there are some vehicles that have other layouts, some with 7 dials, but they're not terribly common, IME

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'll join the 100K+ miles band wagon on that. Does Georgia have anything on the paper work for the selling of the car to declare the odometer has massed the mechanical limit? Here in Pennsylvania we do & I declared it when my dad transfered the title in my name since my Monte was over 100K by that time.
Anything old typically gets logged 'exempt' regardless of being actual miles or not,
20221115_010708.jpg

although, there is technically an exceeds mechanical limits option.
20221115_010834.jpg

Sometimes, rarely, someone in the tax office will care enough to try to mark an actual mile figure on an older vehicle title application but even then at the state level when they process it often it gets sent out stamped 'exempt' since older cars and trucks are age exempt from reporting.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Anything old typically gets logged 'exempt' regardless of being actual miles or not,
<SNIP>
Sometimes, rarely, someone in the tax office will care enough to try to mark an actual mile figure on an older vehicle title application but even then at the state level when they process it often it gets sent out stamped 'exempt' since older cars and trucks are age exempt from reporting.
This is true. It really depends on the state laws, and who the DMV "teller" is that you see at the office. Here in SC, they will mail your new title to you when you fill out the application. You can mail it in or stand in line at the DMV office to do this. Also, for a fee, they can print you out a title IMMEDIATELY if you wish right there at the DMV office if your paperwork passes muster (which I will always do now in perpetuity since they "lost" my Ford Focus title mailing it out and I had to wait in line again at DMV, then pay again to get a replacement title of something they didn't deliver in the first place). Years ago, they were total dlcks if you had ONE mistake or missing any info. "THIS IS WRONG! COME BACK WHEN YOU GET THIS FIXED!" Nowadays, it's not quite as bad, as they'll try to assist and explain what is needed at least.

And if you have the right teller, they will put the actual mileage on the vehicle title if you ask them nicely. It's not a big deal if it's over 100K to roll with an "exempt" stamp, but a bona fide low-mileage car, IMO, should be continued to be documented as such if it may matter to you. Documentation can make a difference when/if you go to sell. Also takes away the vagueness of an "exempt" stamp because some people view this automatically as a rollover, to which was already correctly pointed out as simply to mean "not applicable due to age". Helps avoid confusion, if possible.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Skip looking at the odometer. It's not like trying to understand if a car is 50,000 or 150,000.

8000 miles will have many many original parts, like the brake. Focus on the rest of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor