Oh how the mighty are falling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I am counting on the prices going through the floor, and possibly heavy rebates from Toyota when this is all done. Plus, I am single, live alone and have never reproduced so my safety is not very important. I also only buy new cars with manual transmissions (automatics are the devil's work!), so even if the engine took off, all I would need to do is push in the clutch or pop it out of gear.

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
Bonnewagon said:
I'm just really glad this all came out in the manner it did. For years all I heard was how wonderfull and terrific these cars were and how you had to be some kind of moron to stick with GM. I knew all along that the main reason these people raved about them was the initial low purchase price, and the concept that it ran great for a number of years no matter how much you neglected it, or, as I see it, idiotproof. As soon as something expensive broke you just got another, so mechanically challanged people adored these cars since there was no reason to know ANYTHING about cars at all. The same kind of people who when driving a runaway car are too stupid to just shut it off. I hope Toyota gets it's *ss handed to it,lawsuits and all, and I should never ever have to suffer through another TOYOTATHON commercial. :puke:

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

I've been saying this for EVER and everyone just keeps saying, "Toyotas run FOREVER!!!"
yeah, it's getting them to stop that's the problem

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
There is a shop by me with a sign that says, "Just sitting here watching Toyotas fly by" :rofl:

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
What I was wondering is they have a commercial that says that "80% of Toyotas sold in the last 20 years are still on the road" I dont know about anyone else but I havnt seen many 1990 Camrys around. I barely see any 2000 camrys. Where do they get these figures?

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
81cutlass said:
What I was wondering is they have a commercial that says that "80% of Toyotas sold in the last 20 years are still on the road" I dont know about anyone else but I havnt seen many 1990 Camrys around. I barely see any 2000 camrys. Where do they get these figures?

now go count how many late 80s lesabres, centurys, celebrities, cavaliers, 88s, and fwd cutlasses you see... fairfield is LITTERED with them

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
The stories that I saw on TV are pretty sad, but this is a great opportunity for American automakers, couldn't come at a better time. Let's hope they can make the most of it.

At the junkyard wehre I get my parts, there are more GM vehicles than anything else, followed by Fords; but very few Toyotas. I'm not sure what it means, but where are all those old Toyotas if they aren't on the road and aren't in the yard?

Scimitar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2009
81cutlass said:
I think that was Subaru's ad. They're sparse around here, but usually when I see one, it's one from the mid- to early-'90's

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
azmalibuwagon said:
\At the junkyard wehre I get my parts, there are more GM vehicles than anything else, followed by Fords; but very few Toyotas. I'm not sure what it means, but where are all those old Toyotas if they aren't on the road and aren't in the yard?

Quite possible they have already been shredded.

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
i heard toyota gave extra vehicle credit on cash for clunkers for those who brought in toyotas for trade. second time buyers.

speaking of cash for clunkers, did you guys hear about the GNX that was traded? it got crushed [bawls eyes out]

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
81cutlass said:
it depends on where you live. Up in the rust belt, where most workers are union, they tend to shy away from imports to support union produced vehicles. In right to work states, you tend to see quite a lot of Japanese cars. Where I live Japanese and South Korean cars seem to outnumber domestics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor