Oil coming out of dip stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
I would like to know or figure out what it can be.When i stomp on the gas i would smell oil burning, when i stop and look under the hood there is like a big spray of oil all over the ac delete plate,inner fender,etc and the only place i see it coming from is the top of the dip stick.I also saw some oil in the valve cover breather hose that goes to the carb what can be happening is the motor building to much pressure if so why.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
gpguy said:
you need a pvc valve in one cover and a breather in the other.

I do have it like that I even replaced them with new ones still does it.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Sounds tired. I'd do a leak down test to see if the rings are weak.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
sounds like your engine has excessive crank pressure, or blow by (combustion gas leaking past the piston rings). Rent a compression tester from a parts shop and check compression on every cylinder. Whether the number is high or low doesn't really tell you much... what you need to look for is inconsistency. See if one or two cylinders are low on compression more than the others.

If a simple test doesn't reveal any major inconsistencies, rent a leak-down tester. This tool puts air in the cylinders via a regular shop air compressor, then measures the amount of air leaking out. This can reveal valve seal leaks, head gasket leaks, or piston ring leaks. If your piston rings are worn, you will also hear hissing air inside the crankcase as it leaks past the rings.

Another simple test you can try is a engine vacuum test. Hook up a vacuum gauge to full manifold vacuum on your carb or intake, and what the needle. If it is not smooth, if it's sticking or jumping, you can suspect a combustion loss in one or a couple cylinders.
here's a handy guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrnzD7PgoHI

You should also check for vacuum leaks through your intake system (carb, charcoal canister, vacuum hoses and lines, etc...). Clogged lines can cause weird vacuum pressures inside, causing excessive gas venting from your crankcase

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
I would be willing to bet there are several cracked compression rings. Same thing happend to my old 71 350 SBC with a gazillion miles on it. Did a compression test and 6 cylinders had 60 PSI and the other 2 had 30PSI. Everyting was std. so its under the bench waiting to be punched 30.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
Thanks I'm going to go have it checked.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
I usually always run a PCV valve on both covers if I can, but all of my freinds seem to be able to run just 1 and be fine.

Had the same thing happen to my small block buick after 4000rpm. If a couple of PCV's dont solve the issue, you have a tired motor, and its time for a rebuild. Make sure the hose from PCV to carb is an adequate diameter, and free of obstruction. You need 3/8" minimum. If using T fittings, make sure they are good sized. Many of them pinch down to about 1/4" which is too small.

A couple of questions come to mind.
1) Is your dipstick tube shorter than it should be?
2) Are you overfilling you engine with oil?

my86442

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2011
Nashua, Iowa
I had a 77 chevelle that i put a 283 in. It would do the same thing. even tho the bottom end was punched .030 over and all brand new, i found out i had a bad compression ring on # 5.

notadude

n00b
Jan 12, 2013
It could be that you have insufficient or clogged breathers on your valve covers.
This happened to my modified small block during high speed runs at the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor