Oil inside my Distributor cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonteMan1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2007
Hudson MA
I have a 1992 chevy blazer(fullsize) with 183k miles, it has a 5.7l engine. I am pretty familiar with chevy 350's and i have never run into a problem like this...
Oil seems to be leaking into my distributor cap and its killing the contact points on some of the cylinders, causing it to back fire and sputter when under a load. When in nuetral, it seems to rev fine, in gear and driving over 2000 rpms it will backfire and sputter.
I assume that there is an o-ring or plastic bushing in the shaft to stop the oil from doing this while keeping things lubricated. I guess it seems like it just wore down and let oil leak into the cap. Its not a lot of oil, but enough to kill the contact and spark between the cap and rotor.

Just wondering if anyone has ever had this issue before, is there anything i can do to fix this or do i need to buy a new distributor??

Ummmm.... can't help you man but you got my attention. Anyone?

Any vacumn lines on it?

How about the bushing that the shaft spins in? It might be loose and letting oil get up there.

dan2286 said:
How about the bushing that the shaft spins in? It might be loose and letting oil get up there.

It must of been a bushing or bearing or whatever keeps the shaft tight inside the distributor because the top of where the rotor sits on was very loose, it moved side to side about 1/4 of an inch so it was letting oil up threw and also destroying the cap at the same time by contacting and wearing out the tabs inside the cap. I swapped it out and it runs beautiful now.
Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone, appreciate it!

I too have just experienced this problem...I have not pulled the distributor yet but im sure there is a bushing that is no good. at the bottom of the shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor