Oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

83reeeegal

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2017
whadup guys,here's the deal

i been havin a rough time with this oil leak in my 3.8 v6, i know the engines *ss or watever but it's a daily driver for the mean time till i swap the engine which isn't anytime soon and well i'm really not tryna risk anything cause i have no other car.. might as well try n take care of the problems it has.

i got a few pics hopefully they can help u guys determine what's up. so the first pic is from the driver side just below the valve cover. the leaky spot that u see there extends from the driver side to the passenger side... the leak eventually gets on to the exhaust pipe right below and it causes it to smoke a bit

i've read 3.8's were notorious for this typa stuff. rear main seals, intake mani leaks, oil pumps etc so idk much bout what i could b getting myself into.

appreciate any responses

Attachments

• EDDC5624-6F4A-4C29-BC12-58A23B65B0CE.jpeg
    EDDC5624-6F4A-4C29-BC12-58A23B65B0CE.jpeg
    505.9 KB · Views: 146

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
My Series 1 leaked so much oil, I just considered it self changing. Plus, it's rust proofing your undercarriage!

Seriously, though, to find the leak, you should degrease the engine thoroughly, then identify the source. Honestly, if it's running ok and you're pulling it out eventually, just let it be......

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

83reeeegal

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2017
My Series 1 leaked so much oil, I just considered it self changing. Plus, it's rust proofing your undercarriage!

Seriously, though, to find the leak, you should degrease the engine thoroughly, then identify the source. Honestly, if it's running ok and you're pulling it out eventually, just let it be......
ahhh ok i see.. well the thing is my block isn't leaking THAT MUCH oil but i mean after a while of continuous parking on my drive way the oil stains add up, the smell of burning oil when exhaust is hot , and just worrying bout polluting the streets gets annoying... I would put somethin under the car to prevent stains but i'd rather be bob the builder instead and try to fix it before it escalates hahah. To degrease the engine would I just need to cover the distributor, carb, alternator & pressure wash that sh*t off?? while the engines running ?

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I never worried about covering anything; I think that's CYA from the Gunk Corp. Get some foamy engine degreaser, warm the engine, foam it up, let it sit, and hose it off. Just don't do anything stupid like spray the hose IN the air intake. Also, don't do it on any surface you value; it'll eat asphalt and stain concrete. A midnight run to a self serve car wash is stealthy.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor