Oil on all 8 cylinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2013
Vancouver BC, Canada
Hey guys i'm new on here, just lookin for some advice. First i'll give you a little backstory. The car is a 79 El camino with a 350/th350/7.5" combo, the drivetrain has no more that 10,000k on it. Ive owned the car for about 10 yrs and it was my daily driver back when I was living paycheck to paycheck so it goes without saying when an issue came up I didnt have much money to throw at it. Now the car has sat for about 7 years and I have the cash so I figured I would get her going again. The motor is a 350 with a few add ons; Roller lifters, aluminum intake, holley street avenger, cam, exhaust. Back in the day the nail in the coffin for the car was my radiator went and I severely over heated the engine and it never ran right after that. It would blow out the pan gasket and burn oil like crazy, this to me screams RINGS! SO yesterday I pulled the motor and popped the heads off and every piston has a pretty good amount of oil on it. The plan is too pull it all apart and re-ring, new bearings, gaskets, etc. I guess my question is does this sound like i'm on the right path or is there another underlying issue I should be looking at. Also is there any other part I should replace because of the over heating? I dont want to go through all this trouble and then have the same issue again. I would assume if it were anything valve seal related all 8 cylinders wouldnt look almost identical

hereiam

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2013
While you have the heads off, I would have the heads checks and the valves done along with the seals. It isnt that much and it would be a shame to have to pull the heads later because of a bad valve, seals or springs. If it has been sitting that long I would definately do valve seals and have the valve springs checked.

Jun 4, 2013
Vancouver BC, Canada
hereiam said:
While you have the heads off, I would have the heads checks and the valves done along with the seals. It isnt that much and it would be a shame to have to pull the heads later because of a bad valve, seals or springs. If it has been sitting that long I would definately do valve seals and have the valve springs checked.

I was planning on getting the springs checked or maybe just putting new ones in and re-lapping the valves. Good call on the seals.

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
since you are tearing it down all the way down. i would drop everything off at a machine shop and get evey thing looked at. you might have scored the cylnder walls or cracked sonething when you over heated. to get it cleaned and looked at isn't that much money. piece of mind knowing that starting off with a good foundation

Jun 4, 2013
Vancouver BC, Canada
454cutlass said:
since you are tearing it down all the way down. i would drop everything off at a machine shop and get evey thing looked at. you might have scored the cylnder walls or cracked sonething when you over heated. to get it cleaned and looked at isn't that much money. piece of mind knowing that starting off with a good foundation

Funny you say that because I just emailed a machine shop today about that. I want to be sure its good to go before i start throwing parts in it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor