Oil Pressure Issues and Looking for Oil Pan Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I agree on the oil pressure, that's why with factory type clearances in the motor I just run a standard volume pump. I am on my second mechanical gauge with the same results. At around 4000 rpm the oil pressure drops back from 50 to 40 and stays there until I let off the throttle.
If it drops back and stays there then maybe it's the pressure regulator in the pump. Might be time to try another pump in it.

Reactions: 1 user

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Major fail today on the oil pan project. The new Canton pan showed up from Summit. Looked good right away, then I was looking at the space in front of the trap door and noticed it was all rusty with actual rust flakes floating around in the pan. Then I noticed the passenger side rail was bent at at 45 degree angle, probably from being dropped before it was boxed by Summit because the UPS box was perfect.

Anyway, pulled the motor today and I wasn't too impressed with my prior work. The pickup is 1/2" from the bottom of the pan if you measure in the middle of the pickup where it's solid and 3/4" from the bottom of the pan at the front of the pickup in the screen area. I know it's supposed to be 3/8" so I can't believe I tack welded it in the wrong place. Could that extra clearance explain my oil pressure drop?

I'm half tempted to correct it to 3/8" and try it again to see if it makes a difference but I don't want to install and pull the motor again if it doesn't work. My other question is with a stock pickup, where to you measure clearance? At the front where the screen is or in the middle where it's solid, but lower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor