GRAND PRIX Oil Pressure Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Seems fine to me. Check oil level, I think 305s called for 10w30, check the owners manual. maybe an oil and filter change is in order, if you haven't already.
Diggin the Jim Croce in the background.

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Unknown oil in it. All I know is its clean, and the filter is clean, so it was recently changed. I was planning on changing it, just so I have a Known starting point.
10W30 is what I was planning on using, specifically Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend 10W30 and a PurolatorOne Filter.

I just didn't know if the gauges had a habit of dancing a little like that, Thanks!

-Gonz

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Here is one during the day time and when the light turned green.

(And some Led Zepplin instead croce this time)

-Gonz

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you posted the problem on Monday and it's Thursday and your engine is still in one piece so I would suspect the sender, but I still suggest to test the pressure with a mechanical gauge.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Ditto. Test with a gauge, could be a loose/dirty wire, bad sender, etc. But that pressure is at least 20-30, so you're in the clear.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Play Hank Williams maybe that will calm it down! 😁

Okay so your 950 miles into owning it an you say it's "starting" to flicker or did you just notice it now? As you don't know the history of the cars oil changes, it's possible that the sending unit has some sludge in it or some small electrical issue. I honestly wouldn't sweat it to much.

Rule of thumb l always went by was once its up to temp no less than 15psi at idle an 25psi going down the road, unless l've install a high flow pump.

The electric gauge on my Suburban flickers every now an then an been doing so for the last couple years without an issue.

Electric gauges aren't the most reliable an mechanical are more accurate in my opinion.

• Agree

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It could also be the oil that's in it. I got away from Castrol years ago because of the wild fluctuations (mechanical gauge). The most stable I've found so far is Brad-Penn, but that's pricey stuff. My 3800 has an interesting little tick to the needle at cold idle with Carquest synthetic.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Play Hank Williams maybe that will calm it down! 😁

Okay so your 950 miles into owning it an you say it's "starting" to flicker or did you just notice it now? As you don't know the history of the cars oil changes, it's possible that the sending unit has some sludge in it or some small electrical issue. I honestly wouldn't sweat it to much.

Rule of thumb l always went by was once its up to temp no less than 15psi at idle an 25psi going down the road, unless l've install a high flow pump.

The electric gauge on my Suburban flickers every now an then an been doing so for the last couple years without an issue.

Electric gauges aren't the most reliable an mechanical are more accurate in my opinion.

I drove it home from Ohio (600-ish miles). Noticed it once at idle getting gas. Never at speed, never noticed it again until recently.

That daytime video was at operating temperature.. the flickering seems to be getting more consistent.

I did pull the dash and replace the bulbs, so it being a "loose connection" in the back of the gauge unit seems to have been taken out of the pool of choices.

Current plan:

Change the oil so at least I know I have a starting point. Right now, all I can tell you about the oil is its clean and the oil filter isn't that dirty at all (Generic white filter, by the way - looks oil-change-joint to me).

Breaking out some Family Tradition...... :)

Will post again after oil change.

-Gonz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor