PONTIAC OIL & VOLT light staying on.

Tucker H.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2020
So I was driving yesterday on the interstate and heard a faint pop or click sound then simultaneously the Oil Light and Volt Light came on and have stayed on since.
Now I still have oil pressure, haven't been able to check if the alternator is charging yet.
Never saw the Check Engine light yesterday, but this morning it was on. It was flashing but also cutting in and out why idling. After a minute it stopped flashing and just kinda stayed dimly lit, and flickered ever so slightly in unison with the Oil and Volt light. See video link.

So I'm hoping someone here can give me a quick(Hey this is X problem) before I go to investigating it for myself or end up taking it to a shop.

1985 Pontiac Bonneville
231V6 TH200C 95000 miles (5/25/24 just hit it this morning on the way home from work)

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
What happens when you unplug the connector from the side of the alternator?

Tucker H.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2020
Engine off Voltage at Battery 12.71
Engine running at idle Voltage at 12.40
Engine running at idle Voltage from alternator to battery ground 12.41.

Tucker H.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2020
What happens when you unplug the connector from the side of the alternator?
I unplugged the 2 prong plug off the side of the alternator, the Volt light goes off, the voltage at idle did not change from 12.41.

--UPDATE-- after reinstalling the connector on the alternator the charging voltage jumped to 14.85 volts at idle, yet volt light came back on.

The Oil light has stayed on the entire time.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor