olds 307 to chevy 350 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
so this is just a thought and i know i will be hated for this but I had an 87 z28 I built a sbc 350 for and I recently sold the z28 and picked up a 84 hurst/olds. I want to make more power and it seems money-wise using the ready to go sbc I have is going be cheaper than building an olds motor. Now I had built this motor with plans of gutting the computer system in the camaro and would likely do the same and not use the computuer in the H/O. So i have a msd distributor with a 6al box and a non-computer controlled carb (holley). so other than motor mounts I believe the 200r4 should bolt up and getting the engine in there shouldnt be difficult. I would like to not butcher anything due to the fact that these cars are worth more stock and i would want to put the 307 back in down the road. Can i manage to do this swap without making it to difficult to put it back to stock and what will i need to do this and please dont complain about me trying to put a chevy in an olds this is why its so difficult to read through other swap threads. I dont have the money to build another motor and i know the chevy will make some nice power. thanks

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
Personally you would decrease the value of your car if you did that. You can always upgrade the ignition and maybe better flowing exhaust. I had a 87' 442 with the same 307 and after I did the same upgrades.....it had way more power.....just my 2 cents.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
I know it having the wrong motor devalues it thats why I would like to be able to put the 307 back in it eventually. I would like to know what I have to change to so I know how hard it would be to eventual convert back to the 307

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
But if you really have your heart set on the chevy engine all you will need is chevy clam shells for the engine (none truck style) and chevy motor mounts to replace the olds engine frame pads.

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
Fuel lines and battery cable's should work that is on the Olds engine. And to clean up the engine bay you will need to remove the computer and harness. Otherwise you will have a rats nest next to your heater box.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You will need a front accessory drive for the Small Block Chevy. The Olds accessories will not swap over. The starter on the Olds is on the driver's side. The starter for the Chevy is on the passenger side so you will have to move the battery to the passenger side and come up with new battery cables. As mentioned before, you will need the engine mount brackets (clam shells) that bolt to the sides of the block and will need the small block Chevy motor mounts that mount to the frame. They bolt into the frame in a different location than they do for the Olds engine. Depending on what accessory drive you use, you will have to figure out your A/C lines. If you keep the Olds condenser and use the traditional Monte SS front accessory drive, you will have a mismatch on what side of the car the compressor is on verses the outlets on the condenser, so you may end up changing the condenser. You can use the Camaro accessory drive pictured above (on ZZ4's car), which puts the R4 compressor on the passenger side of the engine and you can use the Olds condenser and Olds hose assembly with that. Make sure the 200-4R trans in the car is compatible with putting the starter on the passenger side. What side is the fuel pump and lines on with the 307? They are on the passenger side for the small block Chevy. As mentioned above you will need to pull the CCC (Computer Command Control) harness to clean up the engine bay and I don't think that will be simple. I doubt it is completely stand alone from the other elements of the harness you will need (hot to coil, choke, temp sender, oil pressure sender, starter wiring, alternator, etc.)

I know you don't want to hear it but I suggest against doing that to that car. If you really want a Cutlass with a Small Block Chevy in it, then buy one that way. I think most of the Canadian Cutlass's had them in there already. It would be cheaper and easier. Plus, as you know that is a really low production car. It has survived this long. Don't be the guy to hack it up. Be realistic. Once that 307 comes out, it is never going back in, no matter how good the intentions. Just my $0.02. I know you didn't want it, but at least I tried to answer your question. I can't think of anything else.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
Thanks teaxs82GP that's the answer I was looking for I seems like the wiring and having to move things to the other side would force me to really butcher it to get the SBC to work in there. I was hoping it would be a few minor changes but it's not that simple and it obviously worth more with the 307 in it and I couldn't just drop it back in there it would not be worth it.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I think you have to loop the fuel line over to the opposite side too, that may be 3.8 to SBC though.

It's yours, so what you want.

If it were mine, I would find a 403 or 455 Olds motor, so it looks stock-ish.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Agreed. Your car. Do what you want. My point was once it is converted, it is very unlikely to be put back original. You could swap in an Olds 350 and run all the CCC stuff and have it appear stock.

I still say though, if you want a hot rod Cutlass, just buy a different car.

When I bought my car, what I really wanted aesthetically was an 83 Hurst Olds. I even looked seriously at a nice survivor. I didn't want a 307 though and really didn't even want an automatic but just couldn't bring myself to cut up a survivor.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The fuel lines are on the passenger side. As said the starter and all the brackets are different. I hate this swap, especially on a 84 Hurst/Olds. Down the road a 76 and older Olds 350 is a great replacement for the 307. Stronger bottom end and much bigger bore, even the smog version matches your 307 HO hp with more torque. There is also a possible 4" stroker crank in the works, meaning 428 ci.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor