olds 307 to chevy 350 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
I know Im the guy purists hate. I had to have a Hurst/Olds because I fell in love with the lightning rods. Im sure ill find a better way to make some power without butchering it to much, I only considered the sbc because its in my garage and ready to go but i dont want to chop it up to much

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I would say look at how much it would cost to put the sbc in, then what you could get for it towards another Olds to put in. The 307 could loan the new Olds some parts until you put it back in. It would be a more direct swap. But you already have a sbc ready to go even though you'll need to make everything under the hood work with it. I personnally like the car brand to have the same brand engine but this is not my car. We all have our opinions on this, in the end it'll be your wallet that might make your up you mind on what you do.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
403 Olds from a late 70's T/A with a good intake, headers and nitrous....run on pump gas and pepper the snot out of it!

Reactions: 3 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Coming from a guy who dropped a sbc in a cutty..... don't do it if your 307 runs well. I had the motor already, but with time and $ spent, if I had a nice running 307 to begin with I would have gone a different route. Some older 5 a heads with some work, small cam, aluminum intake, a worked non cca q jet and ignition, headers, etc... you can have a stout 307 matching #s that'll rip *ss.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Granted my 359 sbc runs like a psycho even with 882 heads holding me back, I would have appreciated a peppy original 307 with better driveability. Mine is an 88 brougham though and not a 442. While I am not a purist, I would try to retain as much value and collectability from a g body as I could; if it was one of the rare ones. Good luck any way you go!

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
I did that about 15 years ago, and if my memory is correct you also will need the Camaro crossmember or modify the Olds to support the transmission. But I had a 350/350 not sure about the 350/200-4r

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The trans will bolt up, I wish it didn't. How much power does the chebby make? It has one of the better 2004R's but it won't take big power without mods. The Olds 307 is a very good, reliable engine but without major work, a performance engine it is not. The Olds 350 is a different story. The W31 version of the Olds 350 was rated at 325 HP, it actually hit 360 HP+ on the dyno back in the day. The solid mains and much better heads, including aftermarket aluminum, just make it better. The 403 has open mains but has a huge 4.351" bore, so serious HP/TQ with some compression, cam and heads is possible, that is my plan with 424 ci version with big valve #6 heads.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
As someone that did the same swap(tho on a brougham) I think a Lotta guys overcomplicated the swap. The Lil harness that comes from the computer does not contain anything needed for the SBC. You can actually tuck it away between HVAC box and inner fender. Given the choice I'll always choose 350 SBC over 307 olds

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You will never forgive yourself if you cut up this car for a belly button motor, however powerful it may be. Sell that motor, and get a '70-'74 350 olds. They are dirt cheap and everywhere because no one wants them. 403s even moreso. If you want, you could put a 350 olds in there and tweak the computer components and run all that stuff on the 350. A few people have even done that with a 455. I, am not a purist perse, more of a hybrid between the too. I'll shove anything in anything if it will be fast. But with G bodies, most people that own these just butcher them by installing a derpy 350 chevy (unless it was a 305 or a 4.3 car then it's a direct swap) and it just looks off. Gutting a 442 like that would be like those tools that rip out the turbo 3.8 in a Buick GN and put in a turbo LS and have the gall to still call it a GN. "But it's still got a turbo, two more cylinders, and it's FASTER." Yes, I suppose. BUT, it is no longer a GN. Just another V8 G body. And in many people's eyes, that what your 442 will become. Just another SBC swapped 80s rwd car. I wanted to be different, so I swapped in a Buick motor. It's a great engine, beautiful too. Sounds amazing. Glad I stuck with Buick in a Buick. It's a conversation starter. You hardly ever see a non Chevy g body without a Chevy engine in it anymore. Like others have said, it's your car, but if you take the Olds out and put a Chevy in, it's no longer a 442. The Olds 350 would be a better option. Easier, can make more power, and it's an Olds in an Olds. Sorry for rambling lol.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
How would it be "cutting" it up? And it'd be as legit with an SBC as it would with a bigger olds swapped in lol

• Disagree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor