Olds 350 heads question/opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The head casting number is at the bottom left corner of the head, above the exhaust port. I can't see it in the pics.
I'd say its worth 400 if it has good heads. A lot of them are going overseas to be recycled, so the price will rise over time. It looks clean outside, and pulling a valve cover will give an indication of maintenance or neglect.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
The head casting number is at the bottom left corner of the head, above the exhaust port. I can't see it in the pics.
I'd say its worth 400 if it has good heads. A lot of them are going overseas to be recycled, so the price will rise over time. It looks clean outside, and pulling a valve cover will give an indication of maintenance or neglect.
I asked the seller to confirm and he did say the heads are stamped 3A which mondello has listed for the 77 350. Im arranging to go see in person

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
I paid 500 for a olds 350 complete from air cleaner to pan and flex plate to fan and heard it run from local junk yard
Numbers came back 68-74
395558 2
Forgot what the head numbers are
It's goin in my wagon as a driver
I'm just gonna do a gasket set on it and drop it in

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That will be a windowed main block and the 3A heads have a terrible, crack prone exhaust port. I picked up a great condition 76 350 for $120. I let 2 windowed main motors go when I probably could have got them for cheap. They can be built up but they are definitely less desirable. There are new, light weight, modern ring pack pistons available from Mahle, would help the windowed main web block. I would find early heads and pay much less than $400.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
That will be a windowed main block and the 3A heads have a terrible, crack prone exhaust port. I picked up a great condition 76 350 for $120. I let 2 windowed main motors go when I probably could have got them for cheap. They can be built up but they are definitely less desirable. There are new, light weight, modern ring pack pistons available from Mahle, would help the windowed main web block. I would find early heads and pay much less than $400.
Thanks for that input. Thats why i come to this forum. Always get great advice. Something to think about for sure

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Bernard Mondello is on facebook, search him up. He's Joe Mondello's son. When Joe died Mondello went to sh*t. His son is good people and knows just as much as his dad did. Bernard has his own company, again on facebook. He has no site I'm aware of. The current "Mondello" site is not affiliated with Bernard.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The Mondildo book says 3B is window mains. He still has not confirmed head casting number, that was the block.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Mondildo book says 3B is window mains. He still has not confirmed head casting number, that was the block.

I asked the seller to confirm and he did say the heads are stamped 3A which mondello has listed for the 77 350. Im arranging to go see in person
You just missed his response. I say it is a $100 motor, the most pathetic Olds 350, the minor gain in compression is negated by the awful 3A heads vs the 73 to 76 Olds 350. Flat top pistons, a bowl hog on the exhaust bowl and a better cam and dual exhaust bumps power a lot in those motors and you have a very solid foundation on the 73 to 76 350. The 77 to 80 needs different heads and still has the weaker windowed main webs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor