olds 350 vs chevy 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

78_oldcruiser

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2010
Seven Springs NC
if you are running an olds car keep it an olds. chevy 350 is cheaper to build but to me spending a little more $ to keep an olds in an olds is well worth it. i also have no problem putting an olds in a chevy :rofl: sorry i just love the olds :roll: almost decided to put a chevy 400 in my cutlass wagon but i would have had to go out to the barn and hang myself after i heard it run 1 time :blam: KEEP THE OLDS!!

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
"Better" is a very subjective term. The Olds has a shorter stroke and larger bore than the Chevy, so on paper it should be "better". The Chevy has orders of magnitude more parts availability and a monthly buildup article in every major car magazine. It's certainly easier to build a Chevy. Cheaper is arguable (and I'm sure we will). Weight is comparable. Personally, I don't want a belly button engine, so that makes the Olds "better" to me.

Your mileage may vary...

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Agree, the Olds 350 is very good. We had a 75 Cutlass that had a lot of hard miles. The 76 and older motors are great.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
I can't knock my windowed main Olds 350, it has provided me with 50K + miles of fun and road trips. As long as they're used with in the means the 77-80 engines are great too...

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I heard of guys using the gas solid main SBO up to 900+ hp. Usually the diesel/Nascar block is used for it's much stronger bottom end. The windowed blocks are decent and 403 is king on the streets for SBO.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
i myself have a solid main web 350 olds drag motor in my cutlass. It wasnt the cheapest route to make it produce 402 horsepower/500 ft/lb torque, i believe the guy spent 15k on my motor, and i bought it for $800.

Either smallblock is a good street motor if built up well, anything under 10.0:1 compression on pump gas is a good street motor, whereas my 11.77:1 compression 350 isnt.

bawazir

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2010
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor