olds 350 vs chevy 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
the olds 350 won me over when i saw how the lifters work and how easy they are to replace. GENIUS!!! especially for a humble body man with no business being under the hood. :lol: but im also very cheap, and the chevy wins that battle.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
79malibu350 said:
the olds 350 won me over when i saw how the lifters work and how easy they are to replace. GENIUS!!! especially for a humble body man with no business being under the hood. :lol: but im also very cheap, and the chevy wins that battle.

You mean the non adjustable rockers right? Or the fact you don't have to mess with the distributor to get at them (lifters) :rofl: .

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
Oldsmoletick said:
79malibu350 said:

You mean the non adjustable rockers right? Or the fact you don't have to mess with the distributor to get at them (lifters) :rofl: .

yes, thats what i mean lol. :doh:

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
79malibu350 said:

Cheap is relative. But we all would probably agree that an Olds with an Olds motor is worth more than with a chevy motor, given that they are of equal build price. So what you spend extra on putting the olds motor in the olds car, you will probably gain if and when you sell it, true? JMO.... :lol:

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
plus breathing through stock manifolds, the olds motor can be identified by its roar, especially the 455's... just a different moan than its corperate siblings like chevys and buicks

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
Remember, this is just an opinion. Do you ever watch "Pawn Stars"? You know that look Chumly gets on his face, that "DUH" look? You go into a parts store, or a Speed Shop and ask for "Performance Goodies" for an Oldsmobile, and that's the look the guy behind the counter will have on his face. If you're doing a correct restoration, and it had an Olds engine, stay with it. If you want performance and dependability, go with the SBC. Parts are cheap, and you can get them anywhere.
Sorry, sometimes my brains evil side jumps out and gets me in trouble. .........mickey-d :lol: :rofl:

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
I agree with most of the other guys... if it came with an Olds.. its going to stay Olds.. if i bought it with a chubby.. its staying bowtie.. I love my cutlass.. and there is no replacement for displacement.. therefore a 455 cube mill was needed.. but were talking 350s here.. my brothers bone stock 77 window 350 olds in his big *ss cutlass had WAYYY more low end torque than my friends fairly modified 10.5-1 350 in his 87 SS.. you step in the olds hard off idle it planted you harder than the chevy ever would..

the chevy ran high 13s.. not bad for a mild mill.. and the olds was quite a bit slower (she was almost stock) but ones things for sure the Olds was more fun on the street :)

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
mickey-d said:
Remember, this is just an opinion. Do you ever watch "Pawn Stars"? You know that look Chumly gets on his face, that "DUH" look? You go into a parts store, or a Speed Shop and ask for "Performance Goodies" for an Oldsmobile, and that's the look the guy behind the counter will have on his face. If you're doing a correct restoration, and it had an Olds engine, stay with it. If you want performance and dependability, go with the SBC. Parts are cheap, and you can get them anywhere.
Sorry, sometimes my brains evil side jumps out and gets me in trouble. .........mickey-d :lol: :rofl:

Well, I work at A part Z store and I know my parts pretty good. Many times, people come in looking for parts for an engine that they arent 100% sure about, and they end up with the wrong parts. Best thing to do is ask the salesperson if they are familiar with the Olds vs chevy vs buick ...etc. and most of all, to know your stuff before you order. ALWAYS check the new parts against the old ones whenever possible. NEVER turn in a core until you are sure the new part will fit and work properly because we send back cores in less than a week, and once its gone...its GONE!

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
joe_padavano said:
kornball426 said:
bill said:
Theres nothing like the sound, feel, and torque of an Olds motor.....period.

That's really true... I got to drive around a 69 Cutlass S for short while that only had an "RV" cam in it, and an edlebrock intake and carb on it, and the amount of torque it had felt like my old 89 454 powered GMC 3500

And naturally that had nothing to do with the fact that the truck weighed TWICE as much as the Cutlass... :roll:

And naturally I'm going to pretend that I don't see your blatant sarcasm and condescending tone. :?

Look up the differences between fact and simile because obviously you don't understand them, I never said they were the same I said they felt similar. But I don't want to go too far off topic, or hijack the thread so that's all I'll say.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Olds engines make way better truck motors, period. I had a very good 5A 307 in my half ton with terrible 2.76 gears just plain out powered both 350 sbc motors. The first sbc ran very good when first bought but was a turd power wise. 350 Olds in my 4x4, way more responsive the stock sbc 350. Our 75 Cutlass 4dr moved well with the 350 and mileage was still decent. That motor took a lot of abuse for a high mile motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor