Sep 10, 2010
there the same , just pick one

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
bawazir said:

Ummm...no they're not.... The only thing they have in common is the displacement.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
FE3X CLONE said:
bawazir said:

Ummm...no they're not.... The only thing they have in common is the displacement.

Only if you round off. Of course, they DO have the distributor cap in common. :lol:

HILTON

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2010
the olds is better more torque than chevy but are high on performance parts edlebrock hi rise intake was right around 260 in the summit mag which by the way most summit prices are cheaper than jegs or your local speed or autozone. check them out first the d blocks are better for hi output but you can build a small block into a big block using the big block crank and rods I believe lots of mulla you of couse stick with the olds youll be happy you did when you spank one of those chubies i mean chevys

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Why must everyone ask this question, make your own damn decision lol. Think about what kind of use the motor will see. They are similar enough, really only tipping factor is if you want to dress your motor up for show competition...then choose a chevy definitely because there are tons of parts to dress up lol.

Also I agree answer is yes!
:rofl:

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Nick said:
you can build a small block into a big block using the big block crank and rods I believe

The only small block that would accept a big block crank would be the diesel blocks. They (the diesel blocks) have 3.0" mains like the BBO where as the SBO has 2.5" mains.

However your not going to fit a set of big block rods in the small block, especially with the extra stroke from the big block crank.

It also doesn't magically turn a small block into a big block, it just gives you a larger displacement small block. The small block/big block designation comes from the deck heights of the engines. Small blocks are around 9.33" but the big blocks are 10.625".

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Theres nothing like the sound, feel, and torque of an Olds motor.....period.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
bill said:

That's really true... I got to drive around a 69 Cutlass S for short while that only had an "RV" cam in it, and an edlebrock intake and carb on it, and the amount of torque it had felt like my old 89 454 powered GMC 3500 :lol: Not much legs after 4500 rpm but it certainly did have grunt to spare.

HILTON

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2010
ok I worded that wrong by sayin you can turn a small block into a big block but you knew what i was gettin at

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
kornball426 said:
bill said:

That's really true... I got to drive around a 69 Cutlass S for short while that only had an "RV" cam in it, and an edlebrock intake and carb on it, and the amount of torque it had felt like my old 89 454 powered GMC 3500

And naturally that had nothing to do with the fact that the truck weighed TWICE as much as the Cutlass... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor