Olds 403: Has anyone tried a Fuel injection conversion????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackboy23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2009
Always near Chicago
My 88 Cutlass Supreme(don't know if it's a salon now I'm wondering)
I bought strictly because the car had T-tops I figured that whatever the condition of the motor I know I would have to rebuild anyway so no matter, but low and behold after 2 years it's done more than held up.. And for the price I purchased it for besides the body work I had to do, from a mechanical standpoint it needs tuning from the naked unexperienced eye(me) but outside of that she is strong and every mechanic she's seen seems to think so. The problem is that for the life of me I haven't found the mechanic yet to tell me that they've been working on Olds motors for over such and such years and this 403 that I've been blessed with is a cake walk for them.. So with that said, I present to my G-body forum family my first love, and hopefully you guys can provide insight as to what I have and potentially what I can have and need to maximize my Old's full potential.

Not trying to race her( at the track anyway) but definately want it more efficienct than it is now from a standstill. I need suggestions from exhaust ( especially headers like yesterday) to rear end diff's the works...

Any and everything best carb, radiator fans, no stone unturned family..

Thanks and here is where it stands now..

transmission is a 200-4r
b&m shift kit 35265
electric lock up converter control bmm-70244
streetshot converter bmm70416
engine (403 cid) is a basic rebuild with mostly stock parts bored .030 over, arp bolts on rods and main. the block and heads were decked to make 9:1 compression.
heads are stock with a mild port job
rocker arm kit cca-1441kit
comp cam 42-221-4 intake .452 exh. .456 gross lift
edelbrock performer intake was shaved to match heads and block after decking
650 performer rpm carb( upgraded to 750 Holley double pump)
dynomax blackjack headers
accell disributer acc-59113
Also 373 off SS Monte installed..

http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/uu21 ... oor003.jpg

Thanks in Advance..

Ok, first and foremost, yes, it should be a salon. It has the provisions for the center console mounts. Only the salons and H/O's/442's had that.

Second, you gave a lot of data on what you have, but you didnt really specify what advice you needed.

What problems are you having? What are you trying to do with it?

Well as they say the power is in the heads. You already have gears and a stall but what stall 2800? Also I don't want to look up a cam. I can say thats not much lift so it probably very mild. Something in the 230@50 duration should wake it up a lot without overkilling your mild 9-1 and assuming you have say at least a rated 2600 stall also in conjuction with those gears. I like Lunati cams. You would also want proper springs & lifters if you did a cam upgrade and have somebody in a performance shop set up your springs heads with a performance valve job. I assume bigger valves and the corresponding bowl work has already been done? Have the heads been flowed do you know the numbers because a bad port job by somebody who is only used to working on say Chevy or Ford heads may actually make them worse. Go to an Olds board such as www.oldspower.com and ask for recomendations on tuneing it ie jetting & timeing or probably better yet on finding a somewhat local Olds performance guru to performance tune it for you. Guarantee there lots of power and responsiveness left in the tune. Lots. Last any small block Olds header would be a worthwhile upgrade. Just do yourself a favor with headers; hit them with several light coats of name brand header paint before you install them AND get good gaskets such as www.remflex.com and throw the junk they give you with the headers away.

Edit Also check out www.jsmachineoldsmobile.com

Definately go to oldspower.com and look up engine builds. They may bag on your 403 and its reputation for having a delicate bottom end, ie, windowed main webs. This is a motor with a huge bore and short stroke but needs to be limited in revs if its to survive. So if you dont mind a light weight torque motor, keep building. It sounds as though you've already done the usual stuff so I dont know how much more you can do without spending a lot of dollars for slightly more power.

I bought a 403 myself so I'd love to hear more about how yours drove in its present condition, which is all I'm shooting for anyway. 8)

Olds 403

Sounds like you got a good start on it. I think that cam is a little small.

Heads: Fully Port: (fill the exhaust port divider, close the heat riser, and competition valve job), plus shave them "4A" heads 0.040" and install 2.072" and 1.710"valves.
Camshaft: factory 409759 294/296* cam (Supercars Unlimited #14-240) and 300 lb springs (SU #14-060). or contact Andy at Olds Performance Products for a custom cam
Moroso Deep Oil Pan
Exhaust: If you change out your headers either upgrade and get the Hooker Super Comp #3108-1HKR, or the best is the American Racing Headers.
Step up to a Dr Gas "X" Pipe, and Torque Tech tailpipes.
Intake: If you do more head work, then go with the Edelbrock Performer RPM 7111 (2" taller than stock). But not sure if it'll fit under hood.
Fuel Pump: Carter M6108 this pump is stock appearing and is rated at 120 GPH.

I am not an expert on Olds engines, but here are my 2 cents. Given the compression ratio you have, I would run a cam with a fairly wide lobe separation angle. This will build low RPM cylinder pressure and torque at the expense of the top end that you can't really use anyhow because it's a 403. Normal for a performance cam is around 110 degrees, but I would try to find a 112-114 degree LSA cam. I run a 114 degree LSA cam in my SBC 350 and it has excellent idle quality and low end torque. My engine has 9.5:1 compression, but it is similar enough for the point of this comparison.

well i can tell ya this much.. with 3.73s, my 403 went 13.30s at 107mph..

I had 1972 350 heads with the smog bumps ground down.. stock valves...

comp cam xe262 cam with .475 .480 lift 218 224 duration.. Edelbrock intake performer and 750cfm Q-jet...

Your setup will be a nice 87 sipping low 14second car with proper gearings.. the key to make these motors work is at least 1 point more compression and a better cam

I love the XE262 cam! Great idle quality and buckets of low end torque, all in a package that has a smooth idle. It lets you build good low RPM cylinder pressure.

I think blackboy forgot his thread. 85 Cutty, I like the updated pic. I also really like the badge delete header. Cleans up the lines and goes with the theme if you will. The missing stainless steel trim on the bottom is getting hard to find. Sort of looks funny with half of it. Wish I had kept mine from my 88 as I know lots of people are looking for that. Is the sport mirror just missing or did it have the non sport mirrors and you chose to remove them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor