olds 455 build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
CutlassJ said:
try and push him on the price see if he'll come down. Try a company called Kooks custom headers i have them and they are nice but they make some that go in the frame that doesn't limit steering like other headers.

Kooks is no longer making those headers. Dick Miller Racing bought everything from Kooks and is now making them.

85_455_cutty

Greasemonkey
Apr 27, 2006
Hutchinson Ks
Ok cool. Oh what is pocket porting? I found this and I like how it sounds for a build. sorry its kinda alot of room.

Big-Block Oldsmobile 455 CI
For a very streetable motor that will run all day on pump gas with no detonation, DMR owner Dick Miller suggested his popular 468ci pump-gas engine package that cranks out 534 hp and 612 lb-ft of torque. See what we mean about the torque? This starts with a set of custom Diamond Racing 10:1-compression forged pistons packaged with a set of Oliver 7.00-inch forged big-block Chevy connecting rods. Miller likes to build these engines to last, so he invests in Oliver big-block Chevy rods for their durability, and grind down the rod throwdown on the crank to get them to fit. If your budget won't absorb this much insurance, Miller says fitting the stock rods with ARP bolts and grinding the casting flash and shot-peening them can work with this engine's limited speed. The Comp Cams flat-tappet hydraulic custom grind specs out with 244/246 degrees of duration at 0.050 with 0.534/0.544 inches of lift with a 113-degree lobe-separation angle installed at 110 degrees. The whole plan revolves around a set of pocket-ported Bulldog heads with 2.15/1.75-inch stainless steel valves. Again, the Olds intake smorgasbord is limited, so Miller prefers the Edelbrock Torker single-plane with an 850-cfm Holley carb. Dial in a set of Kooks 2-inch primary pipe headers with 3 1/2-inch collectors and you've got the makings of a big-block that would make the good Dr. Olds proud.

Dick Miller Racing
Hernando, MS
662/233-2301
dickmillerracing.com

Parts List
Description PN Source Price
ARP rod bolts, stock rods, 3/8-inch 185-6001 Summit Racing $51.95
Bulldog aluminum heads 500004 DMR 2,195.00
Comp Cams mechanical-roller camshaft Custom DMR 199.00
Diamond Racing pistons, forged 10.0:1 Custom DMR 725.00
Edelbrock Torker single plane 2730 Summit Racing 267.88
Holley 850-cfm carb 0-4781C Summit Racing 469.95
Oliver 7.00-inch forged rods 5455-7-forged DMR 978.00
Pocket-porting labor Custom DMR 400.00

CutlassJ

Greasemonkey
Oct 30, 2008
Northwest Suburbs IL
Thats not a bad build to do, if your on a budget machining the the old crank to fit chevy rods is money u don't really need to send unless you want to.

Poke around on

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/index.php

thats a good place if u got questions on 455 stuff too.

Go find a machine shop that has done a good amount of oldsmobile work and talk to them.
When i built my 455 I was into saveing as much money as i could i think i put the whole thing together for under 6000 if i remember right but i bolted thething together myself to save money too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor