Olds diesel performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
4bt Cummins swap. Far more reliable, more power.

Cummins has a crate 4 banger engine now. Comes with ecu but it's real money.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I'm putting head studs on mine, ARP. Should resolve the issue of the head gaskets blowing. For one of our cutlass we are using a 6.5 turbo diesel for obvious reasons but for my wifes cutlass we are building the original 5.7 olds diesel to see what we can get out of it

• Friendly
Reactions: 4 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I'm putting head studs on mine, ARP. Should resolve the issue of the head gaskets blowing. For one of our cutlass we are using a 6.5 turbo diesel for obvious reasons but for my wifes cutlass we are building the original 5.7 olds diesel to see what we can get out of it
Why not! Please make a build thread. I think this would be awesome!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Keep us posted on the Olds diesel build.

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
My dad had one in a 81 Buick Electra Estate Wagon new never had any problems with it and he traded it in on a 84 gmc suburban as our family was growing 2 boys under age of 4 and one on the way at the time I remember picking up the suburban and my mom saying your brother or sister is coming we got to go to the hospital now so get it
I remember saying he or she will be there when we get there what's the rush

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
I remember seeing & riding in vehicles with some way back when they were new. Seems the fuel delivery system was the biggest issue, at least at stock power levels.
Found the factory diesel computer under my el camino dash years ago. pretty tiny for an early 80's computer.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Greasemonkey
Jul 17, 2018

Yeah its like 10k, its their "repower" engine or something like that.

A turbo LT6 could be interesting if it can do smokey burnouts and get 30mpg @ 80mph

Last edited:

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Would there be another stronger gas engine that could be converted to a diesel, like they did to the Olds engines?

Imagine a 300 inline 6 Ford engine, headstudded with higher compression and a stouter rotating assembly. With a 6 cylinder injection pump driven off the crankshaft with a timing belt, and some Cummins or old IDI injectors. You could piece together a non-turbo diesel from readily available parts and a little machine work if you can find a block that would hold together under that kind of compression.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I remember seeing & riding in vehicles with some way back when they were new. Seems the fuel delivery system was the biggest issue, at least at stock power levels.
Found the factory diesel computer under my el camino dash years ago. pretty tiny for an early 80's computer.
The early diesels typically had a stand alone computer for the lock up controls on the transmission.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN

Those engines ship out of the cummins plant in Columbus I work at. Well put together little kit. Although yes it is expensive. It's a 2.8 liter that would move our cars around pretty well. Jeep guys use them mostly

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor