Olds V8 squeaking noise, not belts

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoehornhands

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2019
Thanks guys. I'll post more info and a new video after I get home in a few weeks and look around some more. Hoping it doesn't need to be torn down again

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What all was done to the motor? Any aftermarket stuff? It does sound belt related. Most internal contact sounds different. Even the inspection cover, well the plastic one sounds like a saw with contact.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The only other thing I can think of would be the flexplate rubbing on the gear of the starter when it is not engaged requiring shimming the body away from the flexplate for clearance.

Reactions: 3 users

shoehornhands

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2019
What all was done to the motor? Any aftermarket stuff? It does sound belt related. Most internal contact sounds different. Even the inspection cover, well the plastic one sounds like a saw with contact.
No changes to the motor except a little bit of milling on the block/head surfaces to fix a slight warp. Had the machine shop run it through the hot tank, lap the valves, replace the cam bearings and hone the cylinders, then I went through and refreshed all the gaskets, bearings, rings, valve train, etc. All stock internally except for a .499" lift cam and a dual-chain timing set. I did reuse the original crank, rods and pistons but I cleaned them up, verified their weights and checked all my clearances with plastigage.

shoehornhands

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2019
The only other thing I can think of would be the flexplate rubbing on the gear of the starter when it is not engaged requiring shimming the body away from the flexplate for clearance.
Would be awesome if this was it.

This guy's warped flexplate sounds kinda similar so I'll definitely be looking in that direction when I get home:

Last edited:

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
I'm still leaning toward torque converter/flexplate/starter as the area you should check

What trans are you running? Does the converter have a drain plug in it? I read somewhere a long time ago that if it does it can only be installed one way onto the flexplate.

I don't know specifics about Oldsmobile transmissions of that era

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have a feeling if you put it on jack stands and manually turn the flexplate with one of these you hear what is contacting what.
1572480650233.png

Reactions: 1 users

shoehornhands

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2019
I'm still leaning toward torque converter/flexplate/starter as the area you should check

What trans are you running? Does the converter have a drain plug in it? I read somewhere a long time ago that if it does it can only be installed one way onto the flexplate.

I don't know specifics about Oldsmobile transmissions of that era
It's the 200-4R that came with the Monte Carlo and I'm running an aftermarket torque converter but I actually can't recall if it has a drain plug or not. I'll do some more research on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor