Oldsmobile Engine Guru's Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

edzolz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2019
I kind of figured the Olds was already installed. Just inquireing about the year.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
If you are going to change the heads, do not mill them anymore than needed to make them square. Flat milling for compression is worse for airflow. Airflow makes more power than a couple of tenths of compression. Going from 79 to 64, that will help. But someone mentioned 68, if that is what they are leave them alone.

Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
So, the move forward was a place that could supply a rebuilt Olds 350 buuuuutttt, they are 3 months out, that won't work. Now we are on the Fakebook hunt for a replacement engine and this weekend will be doing a compression check on the original for a viability check on a head swap. We have a couple leads on complete early Olds 350's that should work, of course any replacement getting the cam/lifters/springs/timing chain/intake replaced if that comes to fruition. We have a couple LS swaps in storage but it just seems so wrong plus the extra cost involved.

Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
If you are going to change the heads, do not mill them anymore than needed to make them square. Flat milling for compression is worse for airflow. Airflow makes more power than a couple of tenths of compression. Going from 79 to 64, that will help. But someone mentioned 68, if that is what they are leave them alone.
Really, I have never heard this before, interesting. Guys have milled Olds iron and aftermarket heads as much as .100". It is needed to run the BBO or Procomp Aluminum heads on a 350 and get any sort of compression. Of course those heads need port work to flow. Another thing guys have done is mill the intake less than the heads and raise the roof of the port, Olds has a very flat 6 degree valve angle. The Procomp heads will go on my 350, milled and CNC ported if Edelbrock can't get their *ss in gear and release the new 68CC aluminum this Summer. They also need to make the Olds RPM intake available, needed with those heads. It won't surprise me if that current Olds 350 is healthy enough to put early 350 heads on. They were much better than the sbc for durability from that era, just super choked at 165 HP. Mill the early heads to 64cc, they are probably 68 to 70CC as cast. Otherwise you are only gaining half a point of compression going to early heads. Pistons sit .025" below deck and Felpro head gaskets are .042" compressed vs .017" for the factory shim gaskets which are no longer available. Same goes for early motors, don't swap head gaskets. The thinnest available head gasket is the expensive Cometic MLS available in .027", the rest are .038" to .045". The nylon coated cam gear timing set and under 200 duration and .400" lift peanut cam should be replaced. Also use the OS30471C pan gaskets and either the 292 Ford or AMC 252 rubber rear main seal in place of the rope seal. Good luck.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Metzger82

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2021
NW Ohio
If you have the money look into a website called oldsparts.com, the guy will answer any question and usually has all his parts in stock. I've bought an oil pan and pickup, distributor, spark plugs and wires from him and soon to be pistons all for a very reasonable price. He even sells Procomp BBO heads already milled for a SBO and a matching intake manifold at a reasonable price, I've heard a lot about the setup being good and the compression would be at 10:1 if I remember correctly but I didn't buy it because I don't have that kind of money right now and my 7a heads are already 64 cc and I'm having 2.07 in intake valves installed. But I would never go LS, IMO it's overrated but I'm die hard Oldsmobile to the point where my project is my 1982 Cutlass and my daily is a 1998 LSS.

Reactions: 1 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Finally the search has ended. We found a rebuilt 74-76 model 455 on fakebook from a defunct project that came with a long shaft TH400 all for $2K. Next up is an intake/headers, paint, and drop it in. No replacement for displacement.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you have the money look into a website called oldsparts.com, the guy will answer any question and usually has all his parts in stock. I've bought an oil pan and pickup, distributor, spark plugs and wires from him and soon to be pistons all for a very reasonable price. He even sells Procomp BBO heads already milled for a SBO and a matching intake manifold at a reasonable price, I've heard a lot about the setup being good and the compression would be at 10:1 if I remember correctly but I didn't buy it because I don't have that kind of money right now and my 7a heads are already 64 cc and I'm having 2.07 in intake valves installed. But I would never go LS, IMO it's overrated but I'm die hard Oldsmobile to the point where my project is my 1982 Cutlass and my daily is a 1998 LSS.
Yada yada yada...

All fine and good until YOU have an issue with something, like one of those aftermarket pieces that doesn't fit....it's YOUR fault if it doesn't fit.

I made the mistake from giving him money for his garbage years ago. Never again. I'm not the only story, either, so take it for what it's worth. Anything he has you can get elsewhere, and I advise you get it elsewhere if possible. If he's changed his business practices for the better, then that's good for someone. I'm still never going to chance that again.

It used to be Brothers Automotive. If anyone's familiar with that, you know what I'm talking about. Would put a PICTURE of a warehouse he didn't even have on the catalog for illustrative purposes only, apparently. SMDH.

Here's a quote from someone else that sums it up better than me.

Go open your door and put head between the jamb and door and slam it hard three times. This will be your experience with Brothers except you will still have your money.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Oh, and good job on the 455. Freshen it up and drop it in, it will move that tank much nicer.

For anyone else reading this looking for better performance...DO NOT...repeat...DO NOT get an A5 aluminum intake from a 307 or 7A heads from a 307. Wasting your time unless doing a restoration or something. Peanut ports. A4 intake and 5A heads are better choices as it has normal sized ports.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yada yada yada...

All fine and good until YOU have an issue with something, like one of those aftermarket pieces that doesn't fit....it's YOUR fault if it doesn't fit.

I made the mistake from giving him money for his garbage years ago. Never again. I'm not the only story, either, so take it for what it's worth. Anything he has you can get elsewhere, and I advise you get it elsewhere if possible. If he's changed his business practices for the better, then that's good for someone. I'm still never going to chance that again.

It used to be Brothers Automotive. If anyone's familiar with that, you know what I'm talking about. Would put a PICTURE of a warehouse he didn't even have on the catalog for illustrative purposes only, apparently. SMDH.

Here's a quote from someone else that sums it up better than me.
Which is exactly why I use Mark Remmel, a one man operation. It take time for Mark to get quotes and parts out these days. https://newoldsperformance.com/
He has brought a ton of parts to the market for my favorite, the Olds 350 especially. Modern Mahle pistons, Molnar rods and is currently working with Edelbrock testing the soon to be released 68cc head aimed for the Olds 350. I have heard Brother's Automotive is awful. I just ordered from RPM up here in Saskatoon. They actually had headlight bezels in stock for the 70S and their prices aren't far off US prices. Also my Wife is in Saskatoon every month, so no shipping which starting to get ridiculous.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor