On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Some good and some bad.

The good :
- I got some new front tires, for peace of mind and sensibility because the ones I've been running are 20 years old, starting to show weather checks, etc.;
- UMI parts showed up (mostly my son's stuff) but I ordered a set of a-arm supports because they seemed like a good idea and I got them installed late Thursday night;
- I have the tune setup for launching with CO2 on the boost control, WOT inside of 5% on the fuel trims and really safe meaning I have a plan once to the track in terms what to change for timing, boost, etc.

The bad :
While under the car putting on the control arm supports I did my usual 'look at everything' (my wife thinks I fall asleep under there lol). I noticed what I thought was a cut in my fuel return line, but upon closer inspection I found the line has deteriorated and begun to get spongey. Undoubtedly due to E85. The lines were a Jegs product that were budget oriented and I had planned to change them every couple of years, but these have only made it about 16 months. I contacted Jegs and inquired about the line I bought only to find that they have now declassified it to not be used for any type of gasoline. I let out my usual wtf and determined I was screwed for this weekend.

I looked into running the same stuff my son has, Eaton stainless braided PTFE (Teflon) lined, and holy moly has that gone up. My son gets this stuff at cost through his employer and it has virtually doubled in price during the past 6 months to $11.50/ft for -10 and $6.70/ft for -6 + 4 fittings. That is going to be very close to $375 for the two long lines (eeks). So I'm looking at using some of the Ebay/Amazon china stuff for a little less than $200. I'm debating what to do at the moment, but need to make a decision to get this rolling by next Saturday.

The weird thing about the lines is that they look and feel like brand new in certain areas, like under the hood, but other spots it's a crazy amount of terrible. It seems to the worst where road grime has laid on the lines. Once I get them out, I'll attach some pictures. I'm still planning to use the rubber on the suction side of the pumps and just change those shorter pieces annually.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Some good and some bad.

The good :
- I got some new front tires, for peace of mind and sensibility because the ones I've been running are 20 years old, starting to show weather checks, etc.;
- UMI parts showed up (mostly my son's stuff) but I ordered a set of a-arm supports because they seemed like a good idea and I got them installed late Thursday night;
- I have the tune setup for launching with CO2 on the boost control, WOT inside of 5% on the fuel trims and really safe meaning I have a plan once to the track in terms what to change for timing, boost, etc.

The bad :
While under the car putting on the control arm supports I did my usual 'look at everything' (my wife thinks I fall asleep under there lol). I noticed what I thought was a cut in my fuel return line, but upon closer inspection I found the line has deteriorated and begun to get spongey. Undoubtedly due to E85. The lines were a Jegs product that were budget oriented and I had planned to change them every couple of years, but these have only made it about 16 months. I contacted Jegs and inquired about the line I bought only to find that they have now declassified it to not be used for any type of gasoline. I let out my usual wtf and determined I was screwed for this weekend.

I looked into running the same stuff my son has, Eaton stainless braided PTFE (Teflon) lined, and holy moly has that gone up. My son gets this stuff at cost through his employer and it has virtually doubled in price during the past 6 months to $11.50/ft for -10 and $6.70/ft for -6 + 4 fittings. That is going to be very close to $375 for the two long lines (eeks). So I'm looking at using some of the Ebay/Amazon china stuff for a little less than $200. I'm debating what to do at the moment, but need to make a decision to get this rolling by next Saturday.

The weird thing about the lines is that they look and feel like brand new in certain areas, like under the hood, but other spots it's a crazy amount of terrible. It seems to the worst where road grime has laid on the lines. Once I get them out, I'll attach some pictures. I'm still planning to use the rubber on the suction side of the pumps and just change those shorter pieces annually.

Gates has some good submersible line too.

The China stuff is okay for what it is. But, the top tier stuff is obviously the preferred route if you can afford it.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Gates has some good submersible line too.

The China stuff is okay for what it is. But, the top tier stuff is obviously the preferred route if you can afford it.
It’s not a matter of affording it, but more a matter of the cheap guy sitting in left shoulder saying buy the china stuff and the guy on my right shoulder saying don’t kill yourself for $150.

The right shoulder guy just won out. I’m going with the Eaton stuff like what’s in the picture. It’s local as well, so I can get the lines made as soon as I get the old ones off (during the work week)

Attachments

• EE8E4FF8-C818-4A0B-A7EA-106BD2482D53.jpeg
    EE8E4FF8-C818-4A0B-A7EA-106BD2482D53.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
Reactions: 3 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
Yes 6k mile 6.0 rec port.
I am gel *ss... I drove hours and paid a fair amount of change for a 200k mile 6.0 last weekend

Oil pump is a fairly easy thing to change.

The 6.0 will be a good bit of fun once you have beaten on the current setup until it gives up the ghost. Lol.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I am gel *ss... I drove hours and paid a fair amount of change for a 200k mile 6.0 last weekend

Oil pump is a fairly easy thing to change.

The 6.0 will be a good bit of fun once you have beaten on the current setup until it gives up the ghost. Lol.
I’m yet to decide exactly what I’m going to do with it. Putting a 4.8 crank in it has me interested, but who knows. One thing for sure is I’m going to ditch the heads. I want cathedrals only just because that’s all I have intakes for.

It’s been laying around for long enough, and yes, I know what it’s worth. 6.0’s are in crazy demand for the NA, daily driver swap. A kajillion mile 6.0 brings $1500-2000 locally.

I’m sitting on it for the moment.

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Is the jegs hose you used braided or just push lock style rubber?

I do like the look of that crimped Eaton line.

I think the next car I do is going to get aluminum line, just a bigger to run unless you pull the body off or have a unibody car.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Is the jegs hose you used braided or just push lock style rubber?

I do like the look of that crimped Eaton line.

I think the next car I do is going to get aluminum line, just a bigger to run unless you pull the body off or have a unibody car.
It was pushlock. I’m using the same stuff for trans cooler lines with no issues.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
5B00B4A1-DB5B-4D79-8E9E-58373F6A133B.jpeg
A290C785-AF7A-43FD-9110-71767EDF9A7E.jpeg

Can this be bad??

• Wow
  • Agree
  • Scared
Reactions: 8 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor