On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Adapt Tamara Taylor GIF by ABC Network

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Finally made it to the track. All days at the track are good, regardless of results. I began the process of getting an NHRA license. I was hoping to get it it done today, but ....I was unsuccessful, sort of. They would've given it to me based on speed, but one of the officials wanted to follow the rules, which I'm not opposed to, and wanted to see 2 consecutive 9" runs, which I couldn't pull off. I couldn't pull off one lol. That was the bad part of the entire day, no license, but next time I'm sure (I think ;) )

The good:
I made 9 runs, 5 low boost at 11-12psi and 4 higher at 21-22. The ARB works, no more g-body shuffle. The trans brake/transmission and converter work great. The cooling system and trans cooler worked flawlessly - I could run hot lap if running 1/8th's and I needed about 25-30 minutes to get adequately cool after 1/4 mile passes (92 degree ambient temps today.) I was able to dial in the boost controller to the single pound through out the run with a much more reasonable dome pressure than before, i.e. 15 psi of dome pressure was 21 psi of boost and it went incrementally by the pound from there. Lastly, I flogged it pretty hard - no leaks, nothing broke, no issues.

The bad:
The track prep was poor and was about gone by noon. And perhaps my tires, M/T Street SS, that are almost 6 yrs old and 1/2 worn out, that came with the 15x10's, I leaned on for the 1st time are whipped. I'm thinking the traction issue was a combination of both, but I'm not sure the tires are to blame yet. How bad was the track, the 1st hit I made for a 60' was at 7psi and 18 degrees of timing. The last pass I was down to 3psi and 11 degrees on the hit AND IT STILL SPUN (smh). I went 139 at 10.1 and lifted twice during that run. I managed a 140 in one run and lifted once, but tried to ride out a spin unsuccessfully.

The embarrassing :
I red lighted twice trying to stage because I couldn't manage setting the car correctly and then bumping in. But I figured it out after 2 consecutive reds. I would've hidden under a rock if I could have found one. And my TB only works in 1st gear, so that I means I have to shift the car for the 1st time on the track - I forgot to shift 3 separate runs - right to the rev limiter in 1st gear. I was ready to put a note on the windshield - 'SHIFT'.

I learned a bunch and will hit the track on a normal race day next time, not a t-n-t day, so that the track will have better prep.

Reactions: 8 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Finally made it to the track. All days at the track are good, regardless of results. I began the process of getting an NHRA license. I was hoping to get it it done today, but ....I was unsuccessful, sort of. They would've given it to me based on speed, but one of the officials wanted to follow the rules, which I'm not opposed to, and wanted to see 2 consecutive 9" runs, which I couldn't pull off. I couldn't pull off one lol. That was the bad part of the entire day, no license, but next time I'm sure (I think ;) )

The good:
I made 9 runs, 5 low boost at 11-12psi and 4 higher at 21-22. The ARB works, no more g-body shuffle. The trans brake/transmission and converter work great. The cooling system and trans cooler worked flawlessly - I could run hot lap if running 1/8th's and I needed about 25-30 minutes to get adequately cool after 1/4 mile passes (92 degree ambient temps today.) I was able to dial in the boost controller to the single pound through out the run with a much more reasonable dome pressure than before, i.e. 15 psi of dome pressure was 21 psi of boost and it went incrementally by the pound from there. Lastly, I flogged it pretty hard - no leaks, nothing broke, no issues.

The bad:
The track prep was poor and was about gone by noon. And perhaps my tires, M/T Street SS, that are almost 6 yrs old and 1/2 worn out, that came with the 15x10's, I leaned on for the 1st time are whipped. I'm thinking the traction issue was a combination of both, but I'm not sure the tires are to blame yet. How bad was the track, the 1st hit I made for a 60' was at 7psi and 18 degrees of timing. The last pass I was down to 3psi and 11 degrees on the hit AND IT STILL SPUN (smh). I went 139 at 10.1 and lifted twice during that run. I managed a 140 in one run and lifted once, but tried to ride out a spin unsuccessfully.

The embarrassing :
I red lighted twice trying to stage because I couldn't manage setting the car correctly and then bumping in. But I figured it out after 2 consecutive reds. I would've hidden under a rock if I could have found one. And my TB only works in 1st gear, so that I means I have to shift the car for the 1st time on the track - I forgot to shift 3 separate runs - right to the rev limiter in 1st gear. I was ready to put a note on the windshield - 'SHIFT'.

I learned a bunch and will hit the track on a normal race day next time, not a t-n-t day, so that the track will have better prep.

Dude tires tires tires. If mine are a year old I don't expect to win on them, and they're basically glorified street tires with an R compound badge.

Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017

The good:

The bad:

The embarrassing :

That doesn't sound like a really bad day. Lots of data and bugs worked out is what I read. Find some fresher skins and it's gonna get real for GroceryGetter83 to stay ahead.

• Haha

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Dude tires tires tires. If mine are a year old I don't expect to win on them, and they're basically glorified street tires with an R compound badge.

I was concerned that might have been a contributing factor. And it makes sense. I just watched a video of a burnout and they were smoking and squealing(??) simultaneously. They shouldn’t squeal. It adds up with what you mentioning. I’m sure you’ve heard of the ‘tire shortage’. I tried to get a set of Street R’s, but I was unsuccessful. So after a bit of a wait I cancelled that order and grabbed another set of Street SS’s that I’m trying to sit on until DW get closer. Well, they’ve waited long enough :blam:

That doesn't sound like a really bad day. Lots of data and bugs worked out is what I read. Find some fresher skins and it's gonna get real for GroceryGetter83 to stay ahead.
All kidding aside, I was at the track at 7:40 and left at 4:30. And considering that nothing broke and it wasn’t from a lack of trying, it was definitely successful. Also, it seems that all track people from all states are not the same type of people that I encounter daily - it’s the reason that DW is such a good time - everyone is fabulous ALWAYS. So it’s a win just for that reason. And you are correct, I got a ton of data to dig through. One interesting tidbit that I found, 2 additional qts of oil are better than 1. The second quart kept the oil pressure from dropping 8psi or so above 6800-7000 rpm’s. I believe it’s not draining back fast enough. I believe it’s not a windage issue because it takes 3-4 seconds over 6k for it develop.So 8qts in the 6qt pan is a win. My preintercooler temps - wow. They’re so high that it almost seems not reasonable, but I’ve swapped sensors and tested each iat, pre and post intercooler, with a blow dryer. Im going to try one more thing to test to confirm the sensor is accurate. But I seen 300+ pre I/C. The most I seen post was 170.

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
We're you able to get any videos? 9 runs is alot!

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
We're you able to get any videos? 9 runs is alot!
Nothing complete. My friend that usually takes them wasn’t there. I did see a couple of squatting. But I don’t know which run they are. I’ll attach them when I find them.

9 is a lot. But the 1st four were quick and short trying to get my 4 rounds if 60’, 330, 600 and 1/8 that were on low boost and just tying to get them done. Throw in a couple of red lights in there, and yeah I was running from the return road to the staging lane.

The track wasn’t super busy and they put license runs to the front of the pack and mix them in as soon as you’re ready.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
You can order M/T drag tires through Walmart.com and they are showing up on time. They clearly have priority contracts over the usual scumbags.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I was concerned that might have been a contributing factor. And it makes sense. I just watched a video of a burnout and they were smoking and squealing(??) simultaneously. They shouldn’t squeal. It adds up with what you mentioning. I’m sure you’ve heard of the ‘tire shortage’. I tried to get a set of Street R’s, but I was unsuccessful. So after a bit of a wait I cancelled that order and grabbed another set of Street SS’s that I’m trying to sit on until DW get closer. Well, they’ve waited long enough :blam:

I have, but luckily we seem to be unaffected by it with our Toyo Proxes RR.

Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
HAve

All kidding aside, I was at the track at 7:40 and left at 4:30. And considering that nothing broke and it wasn’t from a lack of trying, it was definitely successful. Also, it seems that all track people from all states are not the same type of people that I encounter daily - it’s the reason that DW is such a good time - everyone is fabulous ALWAYS. So it’s a win just for that reason. And you are correct, I got a ton of data to dig through. One interesting tidbit that I found, 2 additional qts of oil are better than 1. The second quart kept the oil pressure from dropping 8psi or so above 6800-7000 rpm’s. I believe it’s not draining back fast enough. I believe it’s not a windage issue because it takes 3-4 seconds over 6k for it develop.So 8qts in the 6qt pan is a win. My preintercooler temps - wow. They’re so high that it almost seems not reasonable, but I’ve swapped sensors and tested each iat, pre and post intercooler, with a blow dryer. Im going to try one more thing to test to confirm the sensor is accurate. But I seen 300+ pre I/C. The most I seen post was 170.
Did you calibrate the oil dipstick to your windage tray when you swapped pans?

I did, and I'll probably run 8 liters in a 5 liter oil pan.

Pics on the Cutlass build thread. Roughly 40 pages back during motor build.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor