On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0___

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It's alive again - finally.

Oil pressure : 60 at hot idle. I hope it's not stupid high when I crank it up. Perhaps I can drop down an oil weight or two from 20W50 to 5W or 10W. Think of the extra HP I'll grab with the lighter oil :-/ But now I'll have to find another source for $16/5qts. Now to clean up the wiring and plumbing mess I've created. It will be driving soon to check the trans.

Reactions: 5 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Surreal? Budget an hour for something minor and it takes a day!?!? Time turns sideways and slips into some kind of crack like that hologram on one of those real old Startrek episodes. Yeah, Surreal is just about right on for a descriptor.

Nick

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Surreal? Budget an hour for something minor and it takes a day!?!? Time turns sideways and slips into some kind of crack like that hologram on one of those real old Startrek episodes. Yeah, Surreal is just about right on for a descriptor.

Nick
Well, usually sh*t doesn’t go like that for me because I’m somewhat of a ……. ‘planner’. And usually if things begin to go poorly, that’s when high gear kicks in where age, sleep, time of day are relatively unimportant. But this has dragged for waaaaaay too long.

Im probably feeling the some of the time crunch and worried I’m going to overlook something. I’m so looking forward to a fully prepped track for my test n tune sh*t that I’m sure I’m missing something. Regardless, thanks for the comment.

It’s going to get worked pretty hard in the next week to make sure the trans and motor are up to the task. Then ……… paint (sigh).

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
It's alive again - finally.

Oil pressure : 60 at hot idle. I hope it's not stupid high when I crank it up. Perhaps I can drop down an oil weight or two from 20W50 to 5W or 10W. Think of the extra HP I'll grab with the lighter oil :-/ But now I'll have to find another source for $16/5qts. Now to clean up the wiring and plumbing mess I've created. It will be driving soon to check the trans.

20W50?

new orleans nawlins molasses GIF by Saturday Night Live

Too thick.

0W, 10W, or 15W something synthetic.

• Haha

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Well, usually sh*t doesn’t go like that for me because I’m somewhat of a ……. ‘planner’. And usually if things begin to go poorly, that’s when high gear kicks in where age, sleep, time of day are relatively unimportant. But this has dragged for waaaaaay too long.

Im probably feeling the some of the time crunch and worried I’m going to overlook something. I’m so looking forward to a fully prepped track for my test n tune sh*t that I’m sure I’m missing something. Regardless, thanks for the comment.

It’s going to get worked pretty hard in the next week to make sure the trans and motor are up to the task. Then ……… paint (sigh).
Go beat the snot out of it and have a blast! Sanding is soul annihilating.

• Haha

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
20W50?

new orleans nawlins molasses GIF by Saturday Night Live

Too thick.

0W, 10W, or 15W something synthetic.
I was at 18-20 psi hot with 20w50. Hence 20W50. With 10w30 it was mid teens.

I think I'll splurge on some of Amazon's finest in a 10w. But such a shame to waste the good motor honey 20w50 that's in there now.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

I think I'll splurge on some of Amazon's finest in a 10w. But such a shame to waste the good motor honey 20w50 that's in there now.

Save it for the lawn mower.

• Haha

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

About time you got with the cool kids.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018

Whats its at hot now? Mine would start at a little over 60 and wind up at 40ish when hot. And its the second number you are concerned about. 50 is the hot weight of the oil. 20 is for cold conditions, I believe its under 32 F, but it could be 0 F. So a 5W30 and a 10W30 will act the same way when hot. I ran 5W40 rotella oil in my race engines. I started years ago with the 15W40 rotella and just never saw the need to change anything since the engine looked fine on disassembly. The next oil I was thinking of trying was a Schaeffer Racing oil, but sold the car before I did.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Whats its at hot now? Mine would start at a little over 60 and wind up at 40ish when hot. And its the second number you are concerned about. 50 is the hot weight of the oil. 20 is for cold conditions, I believe its under 32 F, but it could be 0 F. So a 5W30 and a 10W30 will act the same way when hot. I ran 5W40 rotella oil in my race engines. I started years ago with the 15W40 rotella and just never saw the need to change anything since the engine looked fine on disassembly. The next oil I was thinking of trying was a Schaeffer Racing oil, but sold the car before I did.

In LSs I used to run German Castrol 0W30, and am now running Castrol 15W50... until the last bottle runs out. Then everything is getting switched over to Amsoil 0W40 which is the same spec as the Hellcat (it needs a specific oil spec for warranty).

The baseline "cold" viscosity is going to reduce the insane pressure numbers until the oil stabilizes at operating temperature. Which is why I recommended a fast flowing synthetic.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor