Ontario people-where do you have your home, auto insurance?

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
I got my house insurance renewal last week and thought it seemed like a higher than normal yearly increase.

It sure was. Turns out in 3 years it has doubled. Nothing has changed / never had a claim and been with Co-Operators for 30 yrs.

Looking to shop around but I don't know who to contact. Not interested in super cheap / won't pay my claim if I have one insurance, just a good company that's fair.

TD or RBC maybe?

I did call the local guy in my town. He said I'd have to come in and they do a credit check to determine weather you would be the type of person who would commit fraud.

No joke, that's what he said.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Found the same thing here with Co-operators...we had pretty much everything with them...house, autos, and our camping trailer...and for about as long as you had/have been.

We've moved everything to a friend who recently purchased a small town insurance firm...saved us hundreds of dollars....with better coverage in most cases. Not much help with this from here.. but I feel your pain on the Co-operators thing..

Reactions: 1 user

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
When I called to b*tch, she said you need to come in for an assessment of all your policies.

They're pushing retirement plans and life ins. heavily so if this is a marketing scam, I aint playin.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Auto: Economical (the TBSS), Hagerty (the classics), The Personal (military discount on the Hellcat).

Home: Economical (multiple policy discount).

And yes, our costs went up and our coverages dipped with Economical.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
State Farm but now desjardin who I dislike but my broker feeds me client....... When the french company took over they would not let my drop liabilty on my GP in the winter and my Jeep in the summer. I was going to drop them but they miraculously found a way to continue to ajust the policies. My insuance did go up but I was told if I bought new vehicles my rates would go down. I didn't realize totaling a 2020 Jeep the payout would be less than if I totaled my 2003 Jeep...:unsure:

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I can answer this RareT. I just switched companies, actually Apr 30th. First of all, you need to shop for quotes. Have all your info handy for apples to apples comparisons.

I had SunLife for many years, then 10 years ago switched to TD for lower rates. Then again this month to Belair, for lower rates. So many factors in premiums, what is cheap for me, may not be cheap for you. Or maybe TD would give you are better rate than they gave me. Huge items are address, sex and driving record. I find the actual car has little effect on the premium.
The 2 dailies for my wife and I dropped $70 per month and my house is half of what it used to be.

My GN is insured with Hagerty.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I got my house insurance renewal last week and thought it seemed like a higher than normal yearly increase.

It sure was. Turns out in 3 years it has doubled. Nothing has changed / never had a claim and been with Co-Operators for 30 yrs.

Looking to shop around but I don't know who to contact. Not interested in super cheap / won't pay my claim if I have one insurance, just a good company that's fair.

TD or RBC maybe?

I did call the local guy in my town. He said I'd have to come in and they do a credit check to determine weather you would be the type of person who would commit fraud.

No joke, that's what he said.

you might want to ask that insurance company what legal authority they have to do a credit check... :unsure:

from the Insurance Bureau of Canada...

Do All Insurers Use Credit Information?
No. In some provinces and territories, the practice of insurance companies using credit information for automobile insurance rating or underwriting is not allowed. For example, this practice is currently banned in Newfoundland and Labrador as well as Ontario. Learn more about bans on using credit scores for insurance.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Oh where to start ?

Postal Code is a driving force on all policy's ,and I am in Toronto M1M

Home - Wawanesa standing policy for 23 years same house , no claims.When I bought this place 23 years ago it had 60 amp electrical and my insurance company
then was Canada life as a renter when I called them for a change in address , their first comment was Oh your a long term client, all smiles.......One of
the questions asked was the the electrical service........Oh that's bad, now I needed to proof insurance for a mortgage , I was just a month so I can upgrade to
200 Amp.......NO they basically said F off......So much for loyalty.
I called my broker from a different policy , and they said no issue...just let us know when you have when you have the final inspection approval of the
electrical upgrade & it will go down. Wrong ........at the time I had sewage back up coverage it was a $ 20 rider , fast forward to today that same rider is $ 339
extra for $ 50,000 coverage on the basement........My basement is nothing special ,Think 70's DIY .But if the sewer backs up $ 20,000 today gets you it gutted,
scrubbed clean that's it ....Now that's not replacing the washer / dryer / Furnace / Hot water heater / the 2nd fridge , stove but they could be included under
a different section of the main policy...............I do not live on a street that has a sewer back up issue , but I'am a insurance zone that has some problem
streets . Long story short 23 years ago my coverage was $ 6?? , now it's $1,399 including tax ( a year )

Vehicles - The Personal a division of Desjardin's but your employer has to be part of their world ...a employee benefit .Not everyone can sign up with them.
I have 3 vehicles insured , One driver ( me ) no other driver's at my address ......could be my personality ? as follows
2003 Camry with direct compensation / Collision / Specified Perils ..$500 deductible - that's $1,289 a year
1995 Chevy K2500 with the same coverage -$877 a year
1985 Olds Cutlass Salon ( 442 ) with only liability / Accidents Benefits -$ 878 a year

And before anyone asks why so much coverage on the Camry & Truck..it's the cheapest part like $ 44 year on the truck .

The house policy renews June 10 ,the numbers above are the current , The vehicle policy's just renewed April 1 .

And no claims , and a very clean driving record.........can not tell you the last time I was pulled over , or the last ticket I had .....it's been a long time ( knock on wood )

Welcome to Toronto .

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor