Oops, I think I goofed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Buy an intake. And for future reference, the only port matching worth doing is to correct the issue you created. If the head is bigger than the intake then leave it alone.

86judge

Greasemonkey
Dec 27, 2012
Indiana
Buy an intake. And for future reference, the only port matching worth doing is to correct the issue you created. If the head is bigger than the intake then leave it alone.
If the only time port work needs to b done is after a mistake then it would never be done to begin with.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I didn’t say porting. If you are going to port the intake from the carb base to the head, then go for it. Gasket matching on its own with a smaller intake than the head runner does nothing. It’s better to have the intake port smaller. It keeps velocity up in the port and creates a step to keep gases from returning up the intake path to the carb in the event of reversion.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
No harm no foul,matching is a lot of time consumed and i'd hate to see you give up half way through because you're tired of it or don't have the time etc etc and buying more parts equals more money.you didn't wreck anything in the process they're still good use them.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

86judge

Greasemonkey
Dec 27, 2012
Indiana
F82D0138-CAAD-425D-9266-B847E9D5E1F4.jpeg
No harm no foul,matching is a lot of time consumed and i'd hate to see you give up half way through because you're tired of it or don't have the time etc etc and buying more parts equals more money.you didn't wreck anything in the process they're still good use them.
I definitely don’t mind the work. I just didn’t want to junk a set of heads. The reason why I wrote the post was to find some direction. I appreciate all response. I kinda knew bigger wasn’t better (volume vs velocity) I just shld of checked both sides before I started. I figured a little bigger wasn’t going to kill it because it has a decent amount of cubic inches. 406 sbc. The heads are dart heads but there the big runner heads.

• Friendly

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
So much depends on what you want this engine to do and cam you plan on using. You are going to spend endless hours on these heads, you are beyond port matching. A 1204 gasket is what these heads call for. If your building a torque engine your heads will work (bottom- mid range)anything more they won't breath especially with a 406. I would like to here what your goals are.

86judge

Greasemonkey
Dec 27, 2012
Indiana
So much depends on what you want this engine to do and cam you plan on using. You are going to spend endless hours on these heads, you are beyond port matching. A 1204 gasket is what these heads call for. If your building a torque engine your heads will work (bottom- mid range)anything more they won't breath especially with a 406. I would like to here what your goals are.
My goal is just fun in the street. It’s a lot of parts piced together because of a very limited budget. The motor is a 406, with about 10.5 to 1, roller cam 236/242 @50 110 lob sep 106 icl 520 540 lift, it’s going in an 86 cutlass muncie m20 with 355 posi

• Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor