Oops, I think I goofed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Hi LilBowtie & all; Judge it seems is on a very tight budget? And $200 for some education & experience seems doable?? Now since you just got those ole' heads just collection dust & you guys only live a state line apart make him a deal he can't refuse? Help a guy out?? Now I got myself in trouble, Ole' Bob.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Well, I will say that you short block along with the cam would make for a healthy 406 but the 165 cc heads are the limiting factor but since your plan is to use those regardless I wouldn't waste any of the time it would take to gasket match them just to try to fix your first mistake.
With your current heads only able to support low and midrange power levels I feel a regular Performer intake would be more than adequate for use with those heads and also save you some money just get the correct intake gaskets for the heads and just install the intake as is.
Maybe save your RPM intake for later and if your budget allows in the future for you to upgrade the heads to something that will match your combo most likely that intake will work well and already match the head port.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

86judge

Greasemonkey
Dec 27, 2012
Indiana
Well, I will say that you short block along with the cam would make for a healthy 406 but the 165 cc heads are the limiting factor but since your plan is to use those regardless I wouldn't waste any of the time it would take to gasket match them just to try to fix your first mistake.
With your current heads only able to support low and midrange power levels I feel a regular Performer intake would be more than adequate for use with those heads and also save you some money just get the correct intake gaskets for the heads and just install the intake as is.
Maybe save your RPM intake for later and if your budget allows in the future for you to upgrade the heads to something that will match your combo most likely that intake will work well and already match the head port.
Thank you for your response. Without getting into personal business I had to sell my good motor out of it last year. I’m going to drive it this summer come hell or high water. I didn’t order any of these parts. It’s just what’s been collected over the years. I knew the heads were going to choke it. I was hoping the cubic inches wld offset a little of the cams size. Won’t b the right motor just the right now motor. Lol My ultimate goal is a big inch small block. (Aftermarket block)

Reactions: 1 users

Mike T

Greasemonkey
Mar 25, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
If you measured the intake runner openings before you started working on them and compared that to the intake openings on the head you would see that the intake opening was already larger than the head. You already had a "step" in the air flow path.

UNGN is right, matched is better and bigger isn't always better. So unless you have enough cubic inches and engine internals to handle the extra flow from big port heads, you might want to do some figuring on runner size for the aluminum heads.

Your iron heads only have so much flow capacity. In this case visibly less than the intake. Aftermarket intakes have large runners to insure that they can fit most heads. By opening up the intake runners, you will have further reduced the velocity of the air/fuel mixture into the cylinders.

Those closed chamber heads you have shroud the intake valve and have a negative effect on cylinder filling, especially with the 2.02 valves. What you might want to do is gasket match the iron heads but keep the blend angle a little steep (moderate blend). This will help smooth the air flow but still allow the rest of the head runner to increase air/fuel velocity going into the cylinders. You could also do a full port job and because it is a 400ci, unshroud the intake valve by some minor (very minor) combustion chamber work around the edge of the intake valve.

If budget is a problem and time isn't, that might be a way to go.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Thank you for your response. Without getting into personal business I had to sell my good motor out of it last year. I’m going to drive it this summer come hell or high water. I didn’t order any of these parts. It’s just what’s been collected over the years. I knew the heads were going to choke it. I was hoping the cubic inches wld offset a little of the cams size. Won’t b the right motor just the right now motor. Lol My ultimate goal is a big inch small block. (Aftermarket block)

Understand where your coming from and no reason not to drive it this summer. The heads aren't going to choke it (unless your going for rpms) it's a determining factor where your going to make power. I would suggest a smaller cam to complement the heads. If you go together with what you have I trust you have the springs for the roller cam. the springs I see appear to be the stock Dart springs.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users

Monte4ever

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2018
Since this motor is for temporary pleasure I would open them up to the gasket then blend them in about an inch into the runner and not look back. JMO

Pronto-

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2014
^ What he said.

• Agree

1badgbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2018
Buffalo, NY
Ditch the intake, get a new one, bolt on and go. Leave gasket matching to the professionals or practice on junk heads before you do it yourself. It isn't even worth doing on a back yard build. If it was a high dollar race engine and you were trying to shave a few tenths off of the eta that's a different story. No point in gasket matching without porting and polishing anyway and that's a real easy way to screw up your heads if you've never done it before. Keep it simple and don't over think it. Get it put together and have fun with it.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor