Opinion on a 5.3 chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Clone TIE Pilot said:
You could buy the crate 350 Vortec truck motor, swap in a GM LT4 or ZZ hot cam, and make 400 HP for about $2,250. Plus it would reuse most of what you already have. LS motors do have some downsides, they use cast in cylinder sleeves that can only be .010 overbore, the damper needs to be heated to be removed and installed, oiling isn't as good as SBC, and the stock PCV system for the LS stinks. The software to tune LS engines starts at $650 or pay a tuner $250+ to tune it for you.

Well i was actully gonna buy the edelbrock ls1 controller for a carb and jump into fuel injection later

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
700 + 600 for the controller is $1,300 right there. Which doesn't include the price for a carb, custom exhaust, LS belt driven accessories, oil pan that fits your frame, LS motor mounts, and odds and end pieces. Plus the EFI conversion and tuning down the line if you go that route. . As is, the Vortec crate motor would need a Vortec Qjet/EGR intake, both motors would need in tank fuel pumps, and a ZZ4 PROM, a roller cam swap for the Vortec would be $250 while LS cams go for $450. LS stuff does go for more money which is why the market is pushing hem so hard.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Clone TIE Pilot said:
You could buy the crate 350 Vortec truck motor, swap in a GM LT4 or ZZ hot cam, and make 400 HP for about $2,250. Plus it would reuse most of what you already have. LS motors do have some downsides, they use cast in cylinder sleeves that can only be .010 overbore, the damper needs to be heated to be removed and installed, oiling isn't as good as SBC, and the stock PCV system for the LS stinks. The software to tune LS engines starts at $650 or pay a tuner $250+ to tune it for you.

Either way you go, don't listen to marketing hype and make up your own mind.

ls motors can be bored more than .010 over. And I assume by damper you're talking about the harmonic balancer? If so it does not need to be heated. In fact I pulled mine off in about 5 minutes with a rental tool from auto zone.

I understand you're not a big fan of ls engines. Stop bashing them in very thread like you're tired of seeing people bash sbc's. Kind of tired of seeing these threads turn into sh*t storms.

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
between disney and bush garden,FL
+1 on the LS swaps. at the end of the day with a gen1 you might have 400hp and a gas guzzling with the potential to over heat with the a/c on in mid summer heat. ever swapped a cam in the ls? no intake pulling, no dropping the oil pan,spin the cam and the lifters stay up in the holders.the cooling system lacks the thermal shock of the gen 1. Heads flow (4.8/5.3) round 225/230 cfm STOCK. The iron(vortec) can be bored to a 5.7/ I could go on ...., the LS's are the new small block. the aftermarket is all ready all over it. swapping over to ls1tech.com now.

Attachments

• IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 577

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
I think im gonna agree with alot of these guys. An LS swap scares the living crap out of me but i know if i push through i can do this. As far as i know i wont have to fab anything it seems companys make all these parts. Il use a 5.3 or 6.0 to prep it drive it untill it blows then do an ls1 or other later.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
jacobdavis1979 said:
I think im gonna agree with alot of these guys. An LS swap scares the living crap out of me but i know if i push through i can do this. As far as i know i wont have to fab anything it seems companys make all these parts. Il use a 5.3 or 6.0 to prep it drive it untill it blows then do an ls1 or other later.

Go to psiconversion.com. They have pretty much everything you need to do an ls swap beside exhaust. I'd stick with the fuel injection, it's the best part of the swap IMO. keep your eyes open and you can probably find a little better deal. Try and find a motor with all of the accessorys and brackets, intake, fuel rails and injectors, coil packs, and harness and computer if you can. You can probably easily find all the parts separate (I know a yard that's FULL of 5.3's), but it's just easier if it's all together.

Do your research here and ls1tech.com and you'll have a good idea of the parts people use the most and the easiest routes.

The swap wouldn't be so popular if the motors weren't any good.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Kansas Bu Wagon said:
Clone TIE Pilot said:

ls motors can be bored more than .010 over. And I assume by damper you're talking about the harmonic balancer? If so it does not need to be heated. In fact I pulled mine off in about 5 minutes with a rental tool from auto zone.

I understand you're not a big fan of ls engines. Stop bashing them in very thread like you're tired of seeing people bash sbc's. Kind of tired of seeing these threads turn into sh*t storms.

Every swap has it downsides, GM themselves recommends no more than .010 overbore for LS aluminum blocks. Some guys run more than that but they use such overbored LS blocks for mild builds. Plus the OP is talking about buying an LS1 which have thinner walls than the later LS aluminum blocks, just something the OP should watch for, hopefully that isn't a sh*t storm. I don't know what the max overbore for a iron LS block is since I can't find what GM specs, you would think it would be greater since the iron blocks lack nonremovable cast in cylinder sleeves like the aluminum versions use.

There are a few build threads here and elsewhere where the authors had to heat the dampers off and on, perhaps it varies from motor to motor? While I and most of us don't pretend the SBC doesn't have shortcomings (which they do), we should also be open and frank about the LS shortcomings as well (every motor has flaws in its design). Sadly many view LS as a sacred cow that should never be spoken ill of ever, this double standard is quite annoying.

There are plenty of 400+ HP Gen 1 SBC that can run all day without overheating, but no matter whatever motor being used, at that power level or above a stock G body, body needs reinforcing. But again I don't know how much power the OP wants or expects so that point may be mute.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Im sorry i didnt mean to start any flame wars on sbc vs ls by making this thread. I love the sbc thats why it had one in the first place. And i dont wanna make anyone think that i think the ls series is our lord and savior or anything. I just wanna try somthing new ive never done an LS conversion before and i think my Malibu is the perfect place to start especially since i see the parts everywhere in yards and swapmeets where as it seems like i gotta buy everything new for a sbc cuz i can never find it.

And for the record if i wanted a 350 in it i woulda just left it in the first place and not dropped it in my truck

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
jacobdavis1979 said:
Im sorry i didnt mean to start any flame wars on sbc vs ls by making this thread. I love the sbc thats why it had one in the first place. And i dont wanna make anyone think that i think the ls series is our lord and savior or anything. I just wanna try somthing new ive never done an LS conversion before and i think my Malibu is the perfect place to start especially since i see the parts everywhere in yards and swapmeets where as it seems like i gotta buy everything new for a sbc cuz i can never find it.

And for the record if i wanted a 350 in it i woulda just left it in the first place and not dropped it in my truck

i do turnkey 5.3/6L packages if you're interested. includes modded standalone harness (3 wire hookup) and completely reconditioned low mileage motor. PCM flashed to remove VATS and rear O2s and a few sensors that are removed in the conversion. I'm in the Atlanta area. If you're interested PM me and we can talk about what you're looking for.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Kansas Bu Wagon said:
Clone TIE Pilot said:

x2.... :wink: Now I do agree that the sbc has held it's own for years, it is time to move on... but the sbc will still have a sweet spot for me.. BUT even the Ford guys, and a whole lot of others are swapping the ls variants into almost anything!! kinda speaks for itself!! I for one say build what you want and enjoy it! My 85 GP was born a b*st*rd child with a Chevy 305 and isn't even considered a true Pontiac! then I went ahead and did my ls swap THAT DID come from a 99 Formula TA... :wink: and it still isn't even considered a muscle car though I'm willing to bet it can keep up!! anyways I'm rambling you're the one building it and if you need help hit me up! and I agree you do not need to heat up a balancer to be removed.... :wtf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor