Opinion on a 5.3 chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
jacobdavis1979 said:
Im sorry i didnt mean to start any flame wars on sbc vs ls by making this thread. I love the sbc thats why it had one in the first place. And i dont wanna make anyone think that i think the ls series is our lord and savior or anything. I just wanna try somthing new ive never done an LS conversion before and i think my Malibu is the perfect place to start especially since i see the parts everywhere in yards and swapmeets where as it seems like i gotta buy everything new for a sbc cuz i can never find it.

And for the record if i wanted a 350 in it i woulda just left it in the first place and not dropped it in my truck

It's not your fault, sadly some of the LS crowd can be snobs that looks down at older tech, just ignore them. The 5.3 is probably going to be the cheapest route for an LS swap. LS1s are sort of on the way out being the most primitive of the LS series and can't use the more advanced LS heads such as the GM L92 cylinder heads and having thinner cylinder walls than later LS blocks. It's probably best to buy a complete donor car to get everything needed to make the engine run so as to avoid piece mealing it together. Avoid LS4s as they are odd ball FWD blocks.

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
between disney and bush garden,FL
hey op, if you decide to do a lsx swap and need some straight forward help , feel free to pm me.And btw, I still build & tune gen 1 motors for our 71 chevelle foot brake car and our 79 Camaro back half sporstman car. refreshing one of our 383 roller's right now .

Attachments

• IMG_0551.JPG
    IMG_0551.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 661

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks man i appriciate it. I think what im gonna do when i get a motor is make a new thread and call it Malibu ls swap or somthing and maybe upload pics of the build so i can ask questions and stuff. And maybe upload youtube vids

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Well you got a lot of opinions, what you finally do is your choice. I have a 5.3 I bought 8 years ago and is still on the engine stand. I have such a stash of sbc stuff and parts are so cheap I just haven't brought myself to do it. So for the time being I'm staying with the old stuff

Attachments

• IMG_4719.JPG
    IMG_4719.JPG
    333.9 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_4103.JPG
    IMG_4103.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 577

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Clone TIE Pilot said:
It's not your fault, sadly some of the LS crowd can be snobs that looks down at older tech, just ignore them. The 5.3 is probably going to be the cheapest route for an LS swap. LS1s are sort of on the way out being the most primitive of the LS series and can't use the more advanced LS heads such as the GM L92 cylinder heads and having thinner cylinder walls than later LS blocks.

Wow. You really have some serious chips on your shoulders, don't you? First the Turbo Buick guys are practically prison gang raping you at car shows, and now anyone with a late model engine is a snob too?

Well here let's try this on for size...

While the LS1 is older, nearing the middle of it's second decade, it is hardly antiquated or "primitive" - in fact the basic architecture and interchangeability of parts has remained stalwart right up until this year. That is effectively 15 model years of consistency and commonality among parts. Moreover, you can easily make 400-1000hp with bolt-ons to boost on virtually one iteration of a stock (or lightly breathed on) LS motor to another; 4.8L to 7.0L. I am pretty damn sure you can't do that with a boat anchor Gen 1 SBC with some serious capital investment and planning.

Case in point: My MCSS went 12.7 @ 112mph with a stock Target Master 350 (0.030" over) short block, some stock Vortec heads, an intake, a carb, headers, dual 3" exhaust, built transmission with a stall, 4.56 gears, slicks, drag shocks, weight reduction, and a metric sh*t-tonne of tuning (car and driver) - aka THE WORKS. On the other hand my wife's stock (less some comparatively trivial bolt-ons, and a set of 4.11 gears) high mileage LS1 Camaro went 12.6 @ 111mph. It is that simple... the LS1 is superior; and feel free to take the time research just how significant that ET and trap speed are for the lack of modifications done to the car.

Evidence (because you can talk all the sh*t you want, but the proof is the pudding):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7mlArSR0rQ

And here is the kicker, the 250,000km engine that is in the Camaro is coming out and getting CNC'd heads (which out flow the precious L92/LS3 castings), a .600" lift cam, headers, exhaust, blah, blah, blah, blah... and getting shoved right back in the LeMans wagon @ somewhere between 400-450rwhp (as per dozens routinely proven combos on LS1tech.com). How is that not worth the price of admission into LS-land?

Oh and before you go running back to Google to try and debunk my actual fact based experience... I still have this (yeah, it is the same 355 Vortec headed Gen 1 SBC from before - just with twins stuck on it):

A project which I will never finish or run simply because it is a grenade by comparison to a similar LS build. BTW, it is for sale if you want to buy it in order to try and prove me wrong. ;)

In closing, OP if the 5.3L is solid go for it! Just do your research first before committing.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 518

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
jacobdavis1979 said:
Thanks man i appriciate it. I think what im gonna do when i get a motor is make a new thread and call it Malibu ls swap or somthing and maybe upload pics of the build so i can ask questions and stuff. And maybe upload youtube vids

One more thing is to avoid motors from vans. Over at Montecarloss.com, there is a guy who did an LS swap using a a motor from a van but for whatever reason there is no aftermarket support for van ECMs so he is having a hard time getting his motor tuned. Car and truck LS ECMs have a ton of support but van ECMs don't, so watch out on what your new motor came out of.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Clone TIE Pilot said:
One more thing is to avoid motors from vans. Over at Montecarloss.com, there is a guy who did an LS swap using a a motor from a van but for whatever reason there is no aftermarket support for van ECMs so he is having a hard time getting his motor tuned. Car and truck LS ECMs have a ton of support but van ECMs don't, so watch out on what your new motor came out of.

Is there any way you could actually start speaking from personal experience rather than operating on conjecture alone? It would make you look a lot more credible.

The fact of the matter is that there MAY be some van Operating System (OS) definitions that MAY NOT be in the libraries at HP Tuners or EFI Live; however, a quick scan of the ECM and an email to the company can have it added to the database. Understandably companies focus their efforts on what is the most popular (and thus profitable) OS platforms to tune. But, if the ECM is of a same family (ie. E38 or E67) as the donor motor a custom or popular OS can be written to the ECM to run the motor.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
So what if i decided to run a carb set up with ls1 controller would i be ok using a van motor?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
jacobdavis1979 said:
So what if i decided to run a carb set up with ls1 controller would i be ok using a van motor?

F*ck yes. As long as it is a suitable pre-2004 motor (MSD P/N 6010); but, do your homework anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor