Opinions on Changes To Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

85Regal801

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 13, 2022
You can use the rear end, but you ought to get rid of the spool. Look at Quicks performance for a clutch style posi and new axles to fit the posi spline. That would be cheaper and easier than getting another complete assembly.

Regarding the transmission. A TH400 will work just fine perhaps, repeat perhaps. It depends on how it's built. You should know if it's harsh shifting from driving it. You mentioned a PT converter. I assume you meant a PTC. If it is a PTC, then that's a quality unit that could be re-stalled for a more street friendly amount of slip, or it might work just fine on the street already - again, it depends on how it was built. But re-stalling is pretty inexpensive. An OD, like a 4L80, would be great, but not cheap between the transmission and the controller to run it.

Regarding the carb and MSD box (yikes - I've never understood doing this to an LS, but that's me). It would be a super easy conversion to a Holley Terminator TB or Sniper TB setup, but another $1000-1500 of money. Putting a multiport on it can be more expensive if you want an aesthetically pleasing intake.

And I can't disagree with ck80, selling the entire driveline to someone 'in the know' of what it is might offset the expense of swapping . Or just swapping the trans and rear.

Personally, with being cheap the main target (because I am), I'd 'run what ya brung' and put a Holley on it with a Terminator Stealth TB with the MSD, different differential, gears and axles. That should be in the $2500ish range. We are all very good and spending your money haha. Do you have a budget for this project?
Thank you for the insight at the moment I’m planning on around 5k I’d like to go fuel injection, 1 for the aesthetic and 2 for mpgs right now she sucks gas like no other, At the moment I haven’t decided what the plan is I’d like to keep the LS due to my daily and my truck all are Ls and maintenance wise it’s nice being able to buy parts in bulk for the 3, the trans is manual shift and feels decent for street driving but in my head I’d like to keep cruising with the wife and kids as easy as possible that’s why I was looking at swapping to a 4l80e, there’s a couple rebuilt ones here with harness for about 1500 but like I said I’m still up in the air I’d like to have it cruiser ready by next summer so opinions are very appreciated

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Also car has no power steering and want to add it any recommendations
A quick ratio box for the G Body is my recommendation. The new ones from Borgeson are well spoken of. What front accessory drive are you running on the LS? A bracket from ICT Billet is probably the ticket.

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Thank you for the insight at the moment I’m planning on around 5k I’d like to go fuel injection, 1 for the aesthetic and 2 for mpgs right now she sucks gas like no other, At the moment I haven’t decided what the plan is I’d like to keep the LS due to my daily and my truck all are Ls and maintenance wise it’s nice being able to buy parts in bulk for the 3, the trans is manual shift and feels decent for street driving but in my head I’d like to keep cruising with the wife and kids as easy as possible that’s why I was looking at swapping to a 4l80e, there’s a couple rebuilt ones here with harness for about 1500 but like I said I’m still up in the air I’d like to have it cruiser ready by next summer so opinions are very appreciated

$5k is going to take some craftiness. I realize 5K seems like alot, but it goes fast depending on your intentions for both performance and appearance.

A couple of things, you mentioned it sucks gas. That's a result of gears, trans with a slippery converter and a motor with a performance carb a big cam. It sounds like this was built as full out race setup based on the rear end and transmission description you've given. Can you swap a cam?
-2nd, how important is under hood appearance? And how much performance do you want? Both cost money and will eat up your budget.
-Can you tune a factory ECM or do you know of someone local to tune it? Do you have the skillset to install a factory harness and ECM to your appearance standards?
-Are you willing to install some pick-n-pull parts? Are you willing to install something cheap and upgrade for appearance and performance after you get the initial install done?

I know, a lot of questions. But it's hard to offer reasonable suggestions/advice without knowing these answers. The only sound advice I have at this moment is plan your build and then build your plan. And don't buy anything until you have a plan.

Once you have a plan, then it becomes much easier to have an achievable budget and goals.

There many guys here that have a lot of experience with whatever route you choose. There is a thread in the LS Swap section that identifies a lot of the items that you need to get a swap done using factory parts. It's a good read and full of knowledge.

I'm an aftermarket ECM type, but I know that's not for everyone.

Where are you located? You might someone here that is somewhat local to you.

Edit : forgot to mention - $5K is doable depending

Reactions: 1 users

85Regal801

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 13, 2022
A quick ratio box for the G Body is my recommendation. The new ones from Borgeson are well spoken of. What front accessory drive are you running on the LS? A bracket from ICT Billet is probably the ticket.
That’s the one I was looking at here’s a picture of my bay

Attachments

• BFF1A484-4F53-40B5-A095-F7C6B9BBEC59.jpeg
    BFF1A484-4F53-40B5-A095-F7C6B9BBEC59.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 75

85Regal801

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 13, 2022
$5k is going to take some craftiness. I realize 5K seems like alot, but it goes fast depending on your intentions for both performance and appearance.

A couple of things, you mentioned it sucks gas. That's a result of gears, trans with a slippery converter and a motor with a performance carb a big cam. It sounds like this was built as full out race setup based on the rear end and transmission description you've given. Can you swap a cam?
-2nd, how important is under hood appearance? And how much performance do you want? Both cost money and will eat up your budget.
-Can you tune a factory ECM or do you know of someone local to tune it? Do you have the skillset to install a factory harness and ECM to your appearance standards?
-Are you willing to install some pick-n-pull parts? Are you willing to install something cheap and upgrade for appearance and performance after you get the initial install done?

I know, a lot of questions. But it's hard to offer reasonable suggestions/advice without knowing these answers. The only sound advice I have at this moment is plan your build and then build your plan. And don't buy anything until you have a plan.

Once you have a plan, then it becomes much easier to have an achievable budget and goals.

There many guys here that have a lot of experience with whatever route you choose. There is a thread in the LS Swap section that identifies a lot of the items that you need to get a swap done using factory parts. It's a good read and full of knowledge.

5k is my start number I’m fully prepared to spend more if needed, I can do basic mechanics I have swapped cams before with help I do have friends that do this professionally, I’ve recently had shoulder surgery so idk how much help I’ll be but my buddy said I could do this through his shop. I’d like to have a decent looking motor performance I’m not looking to race or anything anymore main goal is just weekend cruising with the family and or driving to and from work. Current setup has the MsD stand alone for just the sensors, I’m looking at a Holley factory tank that does Efi and either the sniper system or an fi tech system. I have multiple shops that can tune and dyno for me, that’s why I was looking at a 4l80e and regearing with axles to make it more street friendly, I apologize I know it’s a mess. Attached is my engine bay and other shots I have ordered Dakota digital gauges to get rid of the pods

Attachments

• 9343BDC4-A6CB-4E9D-BD3B-B4776CF2703A.jpeg
    9343BDC4-A6CB-4E9D-BD3B-B4776CF2703A.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 40E7A5E4-979A-46D2-A8C2-5CE75AEC4405.jpeg
    40E7A5E4-979A-46D2-A8C2-5CE75AEC4405.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: 1 user

85Regal801

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 13, 2022

Edit : forgot to mention - $5K is doable depending
Also I’m not opposed to throwing some pick and pull parts

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
OK then. Check out Streetbu's build thread. A basic LS with a cam and spring swap with an LS1 (I believe) intake. Holley Terminator X. One of the most tuneable and reasonably priced ECM systems is a Holley Term X. If you want a 4L80, then the Term X Max is definitely the way to go IMHO. It comes with a new harness (trans harness too), O2 sensor and easily installed in a day to get it running. A couple extra days to make it a clean install. You'll be able to get it running off from a base tune, but it will need a proper tune. For a 4L80 either find a good core and have it rebuilt of find an already freshened unit. It will need nothing other than stock parts for 700-800hp. A set of Deka 80's, about $400. An in tank Walbro 255 or 400, $100-180. An inline 10-40 micron filter, $30-80. The Holley will be about $1500. A rebuilt/freshened 4L80 should be about $1000-1500 (you can roll the dice with a used unit as well to save $500-1000.) Junkyard truck accessories for power steering pump, alternator and brackets ($150-250). You already have mounts and oil pan and a crossmember. The crossmember will require some hackery, but nothing out of control. Add in another $500-1000 for the usual misc.

And bam, I've spent most of your $5k, but it will be running.

I've thought about your rear end setup. And I think you could probably sell it for what you can find something else and have the money be close to an even swap for another. The 35 spline axles are the killer to me. I'm assuming this is not a factory width axle, but I probably shouldn't assume that. Do you know exactly what the rear is other than 35 spline with a spool and low gears?

Reactions: 1 users

85Regal801

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 13, 2022
OK then. Check out Streetbu's build thread. A basic LS with a cam and spring swap with an LS1 (I believe) intake. Holley Terminator X. One of the most tuneable and reasonably priced ECM systems is a Holley Term X. If you want a 4L80, then the Term X Max is definitely the way to go IMHO. It comes with a new harness (trans harness too), O2 sensor and easily installed in a day to get it running. A couple extra days to make it a clean install. You'll be able to get it running off from a base tune, but it will need a proper tune. For a 4L80 either find a good core and have it rebuilt of find an already freshened unit. It will need nothing other than stock parts for 700-800hp. A set of Deka 80's, about $400. An in tank Walbro 255 or 400, $100-180. An inline 10-40 micron filter, $30-80. The Holley will be about $1500. A rebuilt/freshened 4L80 should be about $1000-1500 (you can roll the dice with a used unit as well to save $500-1000.) Junkyard truck accessories for power steering pump, alternator and brackets ($150-250). You already have mounts and oil pan and a crossmember. The crossmember will require some hackery, but nothing out of control. Add in another $500-1000 for the usual misc.

I've thought about your rear end setup. And I think you could probably sell it for what you can find something else and have the money be close to an even swap for another. The 35 spline axles are the killer to me. I'm assuming this is not a factory width axle, but I probably shouldn't assume that. Do you know exactly what the rear is other than 35 spline with a spool and low gears?

From what I can tell it looks like a ford 9” I’ll post a picture of the actual and I have a buddy who’s interested in the trans but haven’t asked about the rear end, here’s the link to the kits I was looking at for Efi and also there’s a local guy here selling a rebuilt 4l80e for 1k with warranty that’s another reason I’m leaning towards it

Tank - https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_tanks/parts/19-445

EFI - https://www.holley.com/products/fue...i_master_kits_with_fuel_system/parts/550-511K

Attachments

• BF630876-31A8-4AA9-80C9-E42FD8EDEBBC.jpeg
    BF630876-31A8-4AA9-80C9-E42FD8EDEBBC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
Reactions: 1 user

85Regal801

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 13, 2022

I’m also looking at this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor