Opinions on new heads SBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
Hey guys I'm now putting together the 427/434 SBC for my SS. Was going with the AFR 220 full Comp ported heads then I saw these on my local craigslist.

http://grandisland.craigslist.org/pts/3716083196.html .

Thought this was pretty cheap, I called the guy and he said they were just redone with new guides, seals, and springs also. He is selling them because his engine builder/machinist told him they are way too big for his 362 cubic inch street engine, which is definitely true. I know the engine builder pretty well and he said there was nothing wrong with the heads just too big. But I am very leery buying a set of heads without knowing the flow numbers, even though they are stamped with a reference number from the head porter. So I guess I'm asking you all, What would you do? Purchase these heads which are the older design not knowing the specifics as far as flow and such spending $1000 or spending $2000 on a new designed, brand new head that I have info on as far as flow and such. Thanks guys.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
I'm a cheap *ss. I would go with the cheaper heads. Expecially if they just got work done to them. I would be willing to take the gamble. Ya I do understand your concern about not verifing the flow numbers, but its not like that 427/434 wont make power with these heads.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
You're right that is extremely low price.

But not so low that its a scam.

Keep in mind, the demand for the 220cc are not as high as the 195cc. He probably is in a desperate situation looking for cash, and wants to move them quick. If you can verify that they are in fact AFR 220cc, im with hurst1979 on this one. Its not like they wont make power.... Looking at the quality of the porting, it seems unlikely.

If they are functional, thats a steal of a deal! Make sure they are good and go for it.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
If they are what he said they are, scoop em up, that's a steal....one has to wonder though why they are so low for sure...either way, it's only money 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor