Opinions on stainless steel home countertops

Stainless Steel coutertops

• Great idea!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Terrible idea- too industrial looking.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Great idea, but only if you plan to rebuild carburetors where you cook

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Indifferent on the whole thing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I have been working on my long-neglected little piece of tract housing nirvana over the last few months and that has got me thinking about a new kitchen. One of my ideas that everyone I ask seems to hate is using an industrial grade stainless steel for the counter tops instead of the more traditional stone, laminate or solid surface materials. So, aside from the obvious practical positives, is this a bad idea? Would it make the kitchen look too industrial? My plan is for a nice, modern looking kitchen but as always I am on a fairly restrictive budget too.

I say go for it. Ive seen a few stainless steel counter tops and they look real nice. Im not sure about the cost, but I dont think they will be too much more than your other options. I could be wrong though.

As far as my opinion is concerned stainless counter tops can be very flattering if set with appropriate decor and trim. I would be more inclined to have flat stainless set in a dark background as opposed to having ss counters with a backsplash (think fish market).I will admit that the first word that came to mind was industrial when thinking of ss counters just setting on average cabinets.I would think to make them really look good it would not be on a tight budget,I envision dark cherry or ebony cabinets and floors and ss counters and appliances.IMO stainless steel finished and accented accordingly is a milieu of ellegance.

I think stainless countertops look great . . . you don't see them too often

the only drawback I see is that sometimes you can see every single fingerprint on stainless and it must be cleaned regularly with some type of stainless cleaner. My stainless appliances are nice looking but a pain when they get fingerprints on them.

Kitchen and bath renos is my gig. I think stainless can look awesome in the right home if it's properly framed with complementing accents. my only advice is to avoid white appliances unless you want a commercial/medical look to your kitchen. accent the stainless with natural woods or stones, use darker earth tones on your painted surfaces.

a good source for used stainless counters is used restaurant equipment dealers.

Good luck and post pictures when you are done.

85_SS said:
Would look nice with the right accents as mentioned, but a huge PIA to keep clean and I'd be even more leary of scratches.

x2. I love stainless steel, i would have the sink and appliances in it. But i'm not to sure about doing the entire counter top.

Unfortunately, I am kinda stuck with white appliances. I already have a good stove in white and the refrigerator I found is white too ( $350 for a new 18 cu ft fridge at IKEA). I wish I had more to spend, but as I make under $25k a year, it is a bit hard to come up with too much money. As for cabinets, I am up in the air on them right now. IKEA seems to be the cheapest place so far, but I have yet to do much shopping around because I am working on the outside of the house first. This week is paint, next week new screens around the pool and hopefully my new back porch roof. ( got another contractor coming out tomorrow. It is surprisingly hard to find someone who can do what I need done!) Next up is a new front door, new windows and more attic insulation. But I am getting off topic. Anyways, without appliances or labor, I am figuring on spending around $2,000-2500 between the floor, cabinets and counter tops. It is a small galley kitchen about 10 feet in length with 10 cabinets and about 10 feet of total counter top length, so I should be able to do it for around that with a few flourishes thrown in. I want to demo part of the wall between the living room and kitchen to make a bar too, but that likely will kill the budget. The house only has 1066 sq feet, and I want to do that to enlarge the sense of space by connecting the living room dining room, and kitchen space like that, but it seems to be a load bearing wall which is beyond my expertise and budget to deal with.

You could always paint your existing appliances from white to black. That would go better with any amount of stainless you end up using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor