Opinions on these speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I am shopping for a set of 5.25 component speakers for my Cutlass right now that will fit my "Concert Sound II" door locations and I came across these. For $56 (with shipping), they are from MB Quart, and I assume they were an old entry level line as the series is no longer listed on their site. They are new in box, but have probably been sitting in overstock for a few years. I have both a desire for a great sounding system, and a reality of severe budgetary constraints. As much as I would love to spend hundreds of dollars on the best of the best, I simply can't given all that I have left to finish in the car. So, given all of that, are these a good deal and has anyone heard anything good or bad about them before?

GRRR! I can't get a link to work, so I will just post what they are. I saw them on E-Bay, btw. Here is the header from the listing: MB Quart ESA 213 5.25" Component Car Speakers 5-1/4

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I can tell your right now I've never heard of that brand and I've been shopping around alot for audio components for my car. I went with blaupunkt speakers for the rear and just went with lightning audios for my door panels, but that was cause those were the only ones that would fit. My suggestion is to go on eBay. Found my blaupunkts up there for 25$. That or go on amazon and they normally have really good priced stuff and cheap shipping.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, they used to be a very high end brand back in the 80's and 90's. I remember reading about them when they were the sh*t for seperates. They are made in Germany and used to have a really good reputation. I have read some good reviews of the high end stuff they sell today, but unfortunately there is not too much press about the lower priced stuff in the car audio world.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
My bad about previous post. I just went and looked at those speakers on eBay. Personally, I wouldn't buy those just because of how old they are and judging by the design of the cone and magnet those couldn't handle much of anything. I wouldn't be surpised if you bought those and you blew one of'em out within the first two to three days. I know your strapped for cash but there are better brands that sell newer and better designs for cheaper than that. Just have to dig around eBay. Good brands are blaupunkt, pioneer, kenwood, etc. I heard mixed things about those Xplode speakers at walmart.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I hate the Xplod crap as I have them in my AMC and they suck. I currently have a set of Cerwin Vega 6.5's in the doors of my truck that I am happy with, and they have been in there for about 6 years now. I got them out of the U pull it from a Taurus. I've been into car stereos since around 1991, and remember a lot of brands which were high end but are not in favor right now. I rarely blow anything in the way of speakers because I don't listen to the stereo too loud most of the time. I have tinnitus and don't want to make it worse. That's also why I try not to make my car's exhaust too loud and why I worry about sound deadening.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Same here, I hate when you get some of these guys that roll around making every body panel on the car shake cause of the massive amounts of bass. To me that and lowriding is just a waste of a very good vehicle. I have a system in my car but its just enough to make your chest jump just a bit. Its nothing major just something to give a little thump. That sucks with your tenitis man. Kinda limits what you can do right?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It does, but I manage it pretty well. When it is really bad you can't get away from it and it drives you nuts. I have learned how to ignore it most of the time by making sure I am never in too quiet of a place, and also by not aggravating it. Too many power tools over the years have cause the issue as have loud stereos, exhaust, etc. Now I am careful to use hearing protection when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor