OPINIONS WANTED: Best G-body Pre-bent Brake Line Vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Up to about a year ago I had worked for Classic Tube so while you may think I'd be biased, I no longer have a dog in that hunt. So here goes.............
The product Classic Tube builds is a quality part. Their stainless tubing flares well and normally does not require the tighten, loosen, re-tighten, multiple times to get the flares to seal. Also their tubing up to 3/8 diameter is sourced from the USA. Most tube nuts are also USA made as well as the armor guard (Spring Wrap) for their lines. If you buy the lines from Classic Tube I strongly suggest blowing the debris out of the tubes before installation. It was a step I always took on the lines I produced but not everyone working in the shop are "Car Guys". I always built products as if I would be the end user. I also produced lines for some big name chassis builders so again I built the parts as if I was the end user. If you order from NPD, G-Body parts, you will be purchasing a Classic Tube part, just an FYI. As far as fit I cannot speak on a g body brake line kit but I had installed a OE steel kit in my Dads 93 F-150 and it required no adjustment in fit. Same with a stainless F-150 kit I purchased for a family friend, dropped in with no issues. Same with a 57 Chevy Stainless kit and a 71 Chevelle stainless kit.
Don't know if this will help or not, I no longer can vouch for the quality of the parts due to seeing the change to non car guys working in the shop but they still have a level of quality the owner expects in all products not just the Mustang world he is heavily involved in.
If you purchase Classic Tube over the phone, Cliff Schultz or Tim Slattery are the salesmen to talk to.
Appreciate the head's up. Been leaning to CT because they have a complete kit, AND.....they're not ILT. I've been doing research on all these vendors and I just remembered ILT threatened to sue me and John over at the old Oldspower.com forum over some inane bullcrap. They can go suck an egg. And a man-sausage before I'll ever give them my money. They also have a lot of complaints of sending out incomplete and wrong orders and generally sucky service anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I just did a bunch of searching for feedback on these Manufacturers. Inline had the most negative feedback, Classic was going to be my choice, until I started looking at Right Stuff. They had a lot of positive feedback. I chose Right Stuff. I avoided stainless, for the flaring, and sealing issues. The original steel lines lasted 42 years, and were still functioning. The new Right Stuff steel lines will outlive me. I bought the full kit. As for fitment... give me a week or two, and I will post my thoughts on my build thread. Or PM me in a couple weeks, if you have not made a buying decision by then.

Reactions: 2 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Appreciate the head's up. Been leaning to CT because they have a complete kit, AND.....they're not ILT. I've been doing research on all these vendors and I just remembered ILT threatened to sue me and John over at the old Oldspower.com forum over some inane bullcrap. They can go suck an egg. And a man-sausage before I'll ever give them my money. They also have a lot of complaints of sending out incomplete and wrong orders and generally sucky service anyway.

I remember hearing about crap like that with them, someone on a Chevy truck forum I also heard was threatened with a law suit after an issue went public.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ya know, if you send the Right Stuff one of your NOS kits to copy, we could all have them.
:blam:

You know what the NOS kit is? A roll of tubing. Same thing for the fuel line. I got me an NOS fuel line from the gas tank to the pump. It's a 25' roll of fuel line tubing. :doh: Then I find out the brake lines is sold the same way. I did manage to get an NOS rock guard spring. They did sell that separately. p/n 3793113 for the front RH line in the crossmember area.

Check it out. 25' roll for the brake tubing...and the armor shield isn't 25'.

brake line NOS numbers.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I just did a bunch of searching for feedback on these Manufacturers. Inline had the most negative feedback, Classic was going to be my choice, until I started looking at Right Stuff. They had a lot of positive feedback. I chose Right Stuff. I avoided stainless, for the flaring, and sealing issues. The original steel lines lasted 42 years, and were still functioning. The new Right Stuff steel lines will outlive me. I bought the full kit. As for fitment... give me a week or two, and I will post my thoughts on my build thread. Or PM me in a couple weeks, if you have not made a buying decision by then.
Sounds good. I'm in no hurry, so I can wait. However, based on my research, something seems to have changed in 1984 with the G-body brake lines. I don't know what. May be nothing. Not sure. Right Stuff only sold the front to rear line in any configuration. No front lines, or M/C lines, or rear axle lines. Hmmm.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
IMG_1423.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
The copper nickel is a great way to do brake lines. Bends easy, flares nice, and doesn’t rust. But it’s not pre bent. Comes in rolls. Summit has a very good selection of pre bent steel and stainless lines. I bought from there for my Monte Carlo and cutlass. Fit real nice and great quality. I don’t remember the manufacturer name but it’s another option. I believe they have sets as well as piece by piece. Good luck!

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
The copper nickel is a great way to do brake lines. Bends easy, flares nice, and doesn’t rust. But it’s not pre bent. Comes in rolls. Summit has a very good selection of pre bent steel and stainless lines. I bought from there for my Monte Carlo and cutlass. Fit real nice and great quality. I don’t remember the manufacturer name but it’s another option. I believe they have sets as well as piece by piece. Good luck!

Many came out of Classic Tube, Chevy truck and Jeep were big sellers until Dorman came in with their China lines. Much of Summit and Jegs OE steel and stainless coil brake line comes out of Classic Tube.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ya know, if you send the Right Stuff one of your NOS kits to copy, we could all have them.
Specific NOS stuff for you here. In case you needed it. :) You do NOT want to know the list price of this crap from GM. OMFG. But if you want to know, in order, $46.95, $53.20, and $78.26 (3/8" tubing is now discontinued) Total: $178.41. And it doesn't even do a reach around.

12548430 is a 16' roll for 1/4" line.
NOS 1-4 inch brake line 12548430.jpg

12547207 is a 25' roll for 3/16" line.
NOS 3-16 inch brake line 12547207.jpg

3750950 is that 25' roll of 3/8" fuel line tubing I was discussing earlier.

NOS 3-8 inch fuel line 3750950.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor