Outer door handle install questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Installed drivers side handle several times now. Handle is raised up on the outside. The rod from handle to latch is straight but when putting it on handle attachment point it pulls outer handle up. Actually searched here and read some good advice and I believe my latch is gunked up. Prior to paint I attempted to remove latch assembly to no avail. Tapping on large Philips while turning did nothing and started to strip heads. Question is what would you do to free up mechanism? Spray wd40 while working inside handle? Or something similar 🤔
Latch works fine with inside handle
Kind of a conundrum

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Impact screwdriver with correct bit will likely give you your best chance. Hammer time.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Impact screwdriver with correct bit will likely give you your best chance. Hammer time.
I agree 100% but didn't have one so I tried old school way. Lol
I cleaned latch just now spraying wd and tri flow with rags inside door to catch residual drippings. Also reworked the rod from the handle to latch making it longer. It was exactly 9 and 3/8ths and now it's 9 and a half exactly and all these little tweaks worked.
Is there anything in particular you would used to keep it slick like lithium grease?
Same question for the hood springs 🤔
Thanks

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
There are two trains of thought on what to use in them. Something thin like WD40, but it wears off and runs out quickly. Or something thick like lithium spray. The thick stuff stays in place, BUT it also will attract and retain any dirt or debris in it.
So basically pick your poison LOL
I use Fluid Film and have had good luck.

• Agree
  • Winner

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
There are two trains of thought on what to use in them. Something thin like WD40, but it wears off and runs out quickly. Or something thick like lithium spray. The thick stuff stays in place, BUT it also will attract and retain any dirt or debris in it.
So basically pick your poison LOL
I use Fluid Film and have had good luck.
Great idea 💡 I actually have some fluid film and I never thought to use it in that application.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Great idea 💡 I actually have some fluid film and I never thought to use it in that application.
The best use I've found is for stuck, rather seized, car door locks. I've seen them so bad the key wouldn't even go into the lock. Sprayed Fluid Film into it. Let it sit overnight, got the key to go in, sprayed again, worked the key in and out, spray again, let sit, locks worked with the key the next day!

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Fluid Film or Deep Creep. Might even consider some kind of dirt bike type chain spray. There is a variety called Chain Wax that goes on warm and once cold clings to the parts.

As for those Phillips bolts with their born to die cross cuts, try using a butane micro-torch on them. The butane torch tip is so small you can concentrate on the head of the bolt and not have heat or flame spill over onto adjacent metal. I have used this with metric torx headed bolts which are notorious for having their internal toothing strip out and had decent success.

Nick

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
peak inside the door and see if you can get to the backside of the latch bolts to put some heat to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor