Overkill on a Stock Bottom End?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
As said above...single plane intakes really only benefit from 3000rpm and above, which defeats the purpose of a street car that has good idle manners and vacuum.

You would benefit much more from a decent dual plane such as an eddy air gap. I had a weiand stealth when my 355 was carbed, stock bottom end...but the intake was good from 1500-6500rpm. Ran a 650 street demon carb, cast heads with 2.02/1.60 valves, decent headers, etc. That motor had plenty of grunt outta the hole and pulled hard to 7k without issue.

Note...i was running a summit 1107 cam which was 232/242 duration, .488/.510 lift which was too big for the converter to match....but i drove it daily and didn't want it revving high. However, once the motor hit the cam powerband around 3400rpm, it would stick me in the seat!

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Huh, the prices on these things have really come down. In short, if you don't get the compression up the top end will feel really lazy on the street. You can pull the heads off your engine, see where the pistons sit in/out of the deck and determine what your approximate static CR is going to be, cam timing will dictate your dynamic CR.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
To get a camshaft with enough lift/duration to really take advantage of all the flow available in those heads you'd be looking at a power band way above anything a sane person (I know few of us are, but still) would consider streetable. Those heads are rated to accept a cam with up to .700" lift, a cam that big is for race purposes only. That's not to say that you can't use a smaller cam with those heads, it's just that what's the point then? I'd say find a smaller head, something 180, 185, 190 intake runner size would be more then enough to make a fun street car.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
You can find out what your rear end is - see where the engine presently stalls or spins the tires - intake - carb - cyl head casting #. What do you want to do and what are willing to change. My stock block 350 makes a lot of HP w/o the big bucks.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You might consider a Vortec top end and maybe even a hydraulic roller cam....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You might consider a Vortec top end and maybe even a hydraulic roller cam....

I agree with this ^^^^ considering you originally mentioned alot of street driving daily. 375-425HP is not difficult with a set of Vortecs, the correct cam, dual plane intake and decent set of headers.

Those 215 cc heads you linked would be great on a 383 that's running in excess of 6300 rpms, but on your 350 you will not find them useful if you want to put in a cam that is streetable.

What's your budget? I'd assume it's at least $1600 since you linked the Skip White kit. $2000 will get you everything you need to make 400+ and maintain some street manners, and you might be able to do it a little cheaper. You really need to see what pistons you have and how far down in the hole they are (rebuilder pistons or stock replacements in terms of compression height.)

MalibuBrandon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2017
Saint Charles, Missouri
Really great advice guys, exactly the input I'm looking for. Yes, around $2000-2500 is my budget when all is said and done, and I'm hoping to save some of that toward a posi rear end swap. Possibly a 10bolt from a GN or 442, or a 68-72 A body 12 bolt, as Ive read that both are direct bolt in swaps (except the 12 bolt will require 6" backspaced wheels)

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Since the motor is coming apart, figure out what you got. Go from there for your build up. Match up all your components and don't just throw parts at it or You will be disappointed and broke.

I have to agree with this - we have no idea where your at or where you want to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor