Oversized/Flush mount Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaughn3031

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2013
Sarnia, ontario
Does anyone know if a company makes oversized/flush mount glass for gbodys that gets rid of the window trim.

picture of what i'm talking about
Camaro Glass.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You need to build a new ledge for the windshield so the windshield sits flush with he bonding agent applied..The top corners of the window frame need to be rounded out to make it easier to match the contour of the windshield. After the ledge is fabricated you can slide the windshield up and trim the top of the windshield until you get the top and side gaps you want.

Vaughn3031

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2013
Sarnia, ontario
so that is a no? haha, just know that you can get kits that go to the factory body lines for 1st/2nd gen camaros(like pictured) and a few other cars.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
and those kits are around $2,000. A body guys have been asking for flush mounted windshield for a long time. I saw a 67 Nova with a flush mounted windshield with a black rubber trim which looked so nice I did mine the same way. Problem was the installer screwed up the installation and the rubber trim came out so I'm onto plan B

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Just curious-have you considered investigating whether or not you could replace the bright window moldings with the flexible rubber moldings for a smoother look? a friend of mine did something like that on his father's '76 Olds 442, and it turned out pretty well.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The problem I has was I did not round off the square top corners of the windshield and body metal. I was ready to redo the corners but the windshield guy said it would not be a problem. When you raise the ledge the windshield sits on you need to widen the sides a bit since it move the ledge away from the edges of the windshield. I was originally planing on using a thinner rubber molding which would allow me to move the windshield up. With the way the windshield is designed moving the windshield up will make the windshield wider on the sides when moved up. When the thinner molding would not work they suggested the wider molding. The problem with the wider molding is the windshield was not moved up as I had planned so there was not enough bonding of the windshield to the frame. There is enough windshield at the bottom to move it up so I plan to cut the top of the windshield and reinstall it to keep a small gap that I can fill with thin rubber molding. The glass installers that did my car are now out of business....

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
and those kits are around $2,000. A body guys have been asking for flush mounted windshield for a long time. I saw a 67 Nova with a flush mounted windshield with a black rubber trim which looked so nice I did mine the same way. Problem was the installer screwed up the installation and the rubber trim came out so I'm onto plan B
Where did you source the black rubber trim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor