Oversteer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReQ

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2012
we have been checking the toe about monthly, its never moved until now but we are going to start checking every week as well, I do have a question about caster also, should I try to move it around by staggering shims in the upper a-arm?

we are heading to a new track tomorrow for a 4th of July race, well new to me and recently reopened "Showtime Speedway" which was formerly Sunshine in Pinellas County, has been shut down for 8 years or so I believe, our little "team" of 4 cars are going plus a few more from our track, probably going to be a huge car count in multiple classes, considering bringing slicks to run streetstocks as well, because why not right? streetstocks from our track will be running with sportsmen, thats how out of hand ours have gotten, ether way it should be fun

I am also working on another car as we speak, keeping my cutlass as a backup/spare car or possibly letting another friend drive it, not sure yet exactly what I will do since the new car is still a little ways off

http://i.imgur.com/Qc464.jpg

anyone care to guess what it is?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
for caster you want 1 or 2 degrees more on the right side..3 to 4 if you have little or no banking...

sounds like fun heading off to a new track and if you are going to run slicks you need more camber and stager. That new car looks like a 4 door nova

ReQ

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2012
that it is, 1975 4 door nova, got it for $100 as a roller someone was going to junk, same wheelbase as a 2 door it just has 4 small doors rather than 2 large doors, over building the cage in it a bit for a bomber.. hopefully they don't complain about the way we tied the front subframe into the rear and the offset cage, considering seam welding the unibody too but that can be a lot of work, we did it to my mini-stock and it was a superb handling car

I have an 8.5 LSD in my 74 nova I may swap into this one, not sure what to expect from leaf springs, everyone keeps telling me they prefer them to coil spring cars but they getting harder to find.. coil springs sure are a lot cheaper though

our caster is untouched right now, I am not sure how much banking this new track has, its a 1/4 mile track like ours but its turns are wider, suppose to be about 200 more RPM since you get into the gas so much earlier which has me worried, everyone else in my class is turning about 5600rpms, if you notice those in-car videos at night you can see the shift light coming on, its set to 6000rpm so im turning around 61/6200 on a stock bottom end and im surprised its holding together still, maybe I wont scatter it across this new track :roll:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Those Nova's make a great circle track car. We looked for one but could never find anything up here with a decent price tag. You corner better with the leaf over the 4 link set up and you have more options with setting up a leaf. You'll be glad it's a 75 and not a 74 where they had rear steer on the Nova and it was terrible for handling. As for the frame are you not permitted to run a tubular frame from the front clip keeping the pick up points for the rear suspension in stock location?

we run the 602 crate with a 6300 chip and it's done 4 seasons with no problems. It's basically a stock lower with vortec heads. The problems you get with high revs is in the valve train before the lower end

for caster the car will rotate better around the corners with the left tire in front of the right tire

ReQ

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2012
not sure what they will let us get away with really on the unibody, it will be the only one so far to run the new bomber class here, all a and g-body cars, the rules state that the rollcage is not allowed to "reinforce the body or frame" and is only to serve as driver protection, also says "no bracing of any kind" but without any actual frame to weld the 4 points to, we decided it was not going to be as safe as a full frame car when they you have 3200-3400+lbs battering rams plowing down the track

so we used square tube in the "frame" channel in the back floorboard as you can see in the pictures, mounted the rear of the cage to that and used more square tube off the front subframe on the left front, brought it out to the downbar at the front and then ran pipe to tie that to the rear downbar, the reason the cage is offset is because we brought the downbars directly to the "frame", in the rear we also cut the truck out and laid pipe in the rear subframe channel and stitch welded it in for the rear downbars to tie into the bumper mounts at the back, going to replace the trunk we cut out and then cover it all with sheet metal

might not be completely following the rules, but I don't see a way to build a safe unibody with the current wording of the rulebook, and yes I hate the rear steer on my 74 nova, planning to do a rack and pinion swap with camaro front suspension on it(its a street car by the way)

Edit: pictures, no room in the shop so its been sitting outside and getting rusty the last week

http://i.imgur.com/QDtAd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bHPjX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/p2Dlr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QknZ9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor