Oversteer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Broken welds in the rear sounds bad. Hope that's easily fixable. What exactly broke?

And in car footage is great. If it was from a car following you, watching your hands inside the car can give insight into how the car is behaving.

Sounds like you'll be up front soon.

ramey

ReQ

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2012
We had to swap back to a welded diff when the last rear end broke, the LSD we were running did not seem to be working, probably needed to be rebuilt

we are putting buying a mini spool for it today, no more welded spiders

the car is working pretty good I suppose, or maybe I have just learned to drive it better, I do tend to steer right more than left through most of the turn lol but thats the nature of the beast or so I am told, it seems to be working pretty good if I am allowed to run the proper line, which does not happen in a race unfortunately, but all 4 tires are just about bald so I guess that means they are all working?

going to try a new brand of tire soon, probably the "runway enduro" by Federal, a lot of guys run them and seem to like them, I was hoping to test out the tires tomorrow, a friend was going to let me barrow his tires, but I will probably be working late and not get to the track in time, being a cable guy is hell for your scheduled, going to be at Macdill AFB all day

as for the footage, I do not know what you will be able to see from the car following me, I sit pretty low so I doubt you will see my hands, but the guy who put the camera in my friends car was testing the camera, hes going to start renting cams to cars every weekend and cutting the guys who rent them a deal on DVDs of the race, both outside and inside the car

once he gets that squared away I will probably rent the cam a few nights, really want to buy one for myself and point it towards the suspension under the car one night

bit of an updated picture of my car, its going through hell in this class, ignore all the junk outside my shop, can't even get my car in my own shop due to my friends cars and clutter :roll: http://i.imgur.com/ZOOvm.jpg the drivers side is even worse, a car spun in front of me and into the infield, throw mud all over my car

then someone forgot how to use his brakes and did this http://i.imgur.com/83Tbc.jpg he did come apologize after the race, best part is.. when he hit me and spun me around, I was running 5th and they sent BOTH of us to the rear lol ended up finishing 10th out of 18 cars, 23 started the race

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That car is clean after a few nites of racing if you ask me. When we couldn't use a spool and had to wled the back end we welded the valley of the side gears so the pinion gears couldn't rotate and that worked out well, never broke. We never welded the gears together..

it's good you got the brakes figured out. The do sell those callipers with a smaller piston for the right side brake so you get more left brake

ReQ

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2012
Had a bit of trouble in the feature last Saturday, heat went ok and I worked my way from the back to finish third, started third row outside in the feature and on the start, I got stuck 3 wide and bumped up into the wall down the front straight, bent something on the front and I ended up finishing 6th or 7th, not sure since I did not go to the pay window

I had a slight vibration in the steering wheel, and someone told me he saw my right front wheel "wobbling" on the track, I have checked and found nothing bent, just knocked the toe out of adjustment, nothing seems loose either, I have a good amount on paint and concrete stuffed into the bead of the wheel, could that throw the balance off enough to make it vibrate? or would I even notice on the track

I do believe something in the rear of my car is bent, if you look at the body on the right rear quarter panel, the metal is buckled and the paint wrinkled above the right rear tire, like the whole rear of the car was pushed out and the body is welded directly to the frame front to rear, going to check the alinement on the rear to be sure

I have another question as well, regarding ring & pinion mix/matching in the 7.5, I have a spare housing the has 2.41 gears in it, which is 41 ring 17 pinion, we run 2.73 gears which is 41 ring 15 pinion, my question is.. will the 41 tooth ring from the 2.41 work with a 15 pinion from a 2.73? or will the ring be cut SPECIFICALLY for a 17 pinion and not work with a 15

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
For the ring and pinion they are made as a set for life. It sounds like you probably bent the rim when you hit the wall and for that back are you speaking about the sheet metal or the chassis?

If you ask me you still had a good nite 3rd in the heat and a top 10 finish in the feature is a good nite especially with the problems

ReQ

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2012
The sheet metal looks pushed over, the last picture I posted of the left rear, where someone drove into me in the turn, it may have pushed the rear of the car to the right

http://i.imgur.com/1I1nt.jpg

you can see the paint is chipped and wrinkled, and the C-pillar is bowed inwards, harder to tell in that picture, but its easy to see the reflections in this one

http://i.imgur.com/dZSCV.jpg

ignore the last minute fender "repair" for the larger tires :roll:

going to have the alinement checked this week, we are off again this coming Saturday, track is having a special event so no regular racing, gives me 2 weeks to get things sorted again

the reason I was asking about ring/pinion hears is, we have a friends car that has 2.41 gears, we also have a spare 15 pinion that came from a 2.73, we tried to replace the 17 pinion with the 15, everything works fine until you tighten the carrier down into the housing, it locks the gears up and you cannot turn the pinion, not sure if we are dealing with a 7.5 and 7.625 rear or if this just will not work

not sure what the 15 pinion came from, someone suggested it could be for a 7.625 rear, but I thought it was just a larger ring and 28 spline axles? is the pinion different as well?

ReQ

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2012
Have not posted in a while, been busy but I am still racing every Saturday night, I have changed a lot on the car lately, from engine to tires and everything in between

steering box from an SS with solid coupler made a noticeable difference in steering feel, still the same front spring setup but we changed our rear a lot, 11" 200lbs left rear, 10" 250lbs right rear, car sits level until i get in it, left side rides about 3/4" lower, got ride of the 4" offset wheels on the left side in favor of 2", I was worried about having the tires stuck out and someone cutting one, but I gave up worrying about breaking stuff, it just gets broken no matter what in this class

the car has a 1.5" forward rake right now, I was worried that would throw too much weight forward off the rear, but it seems to work pretty well for whatever reason

I still have problems keeping the rear in line, but I am now 100% convinced its just the tires, and I have a picture that illustrates why

http://i.imgur.com/onMgb.jpg it was raining shortly before that picture was taken, we got volunteered to dry the track, hence all the waterspots

this is mid turn, when I lift off and start to turn in, the back lifts and wants to come around, but the moment I touch the brakes it settles back down and falls in line, middle of the turn however, I feel back of the car shift ever so slightly but stops just short of getting sideways, that pictures explains why, the rear tires have soft sidewalls, since they are not performance tires because we have to run 70 series tires -.-

exiting the turn under power is just too much for the tires, they will slip and then the rubber "snaps" back and around it comes, the only way the solve this problem seems to be the steering wheel, hard to tell in the picture but I am repositioning my right hand, because I know the cars about to swing around if I do not correct it, a quick stabs of corrective steering and the car pulls out of the turn perfectly

the camber in the right front seems to be working pretty well, keeping the tire from rolling like the rears, I wish I could have some left side camber though... and maybe an independent rear suspension :lol:

oh and, ignore the hole in the exhaust tip, never could figure ou how that happened and we had to change the exhaust anyhow, was too large (2-3/4") only allowed 2" OD :( even though I am still running with my illegal sheet metal right front fender

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
are you allowed adjustable shocks, if you are then slow up the rebound on the rears. For the tire roll can you put a few more pounds in the rear tire? I would go down a bit in the spring rate in the back. I's try 180 on the left and 200 on the right. Let the car sit a bit on that right rear when accelerating out of the corner.

ReQ

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2012
I have adjustable pro rear shocks, even though we are not allowed to run them half the field does it anyway, I have the left rear set on the "tie down" setting, not sure what valving it is but I would guess 30/70 bound/rebound, and the right rear at 50/50, I thought about setting the right rear to 70/30 and give it a try one Thursday, not sure if a really stiff bound and easy rebound would work on the right rear

highest pressure I have ran on the right rear was around 40/45psi, guess I could try more

I tried softer rear springs but they did not seem to work, I had a 150 LR and 175 RR both 11" tall but they sagged to much under the weight and dropped the ride height, can't seem to find taller springs locally, and I don't really want to special order some

how much of a fan of cross are you? a few guys here keep preaching to me about not having enough cross, I don't know why but I just don't like the idea of making the car ride on the LR/RF, they say it will give the car more traction and hook better off the corners, but the higher I get my cross (at about 43% right now) the harder it is to get through the turns, maybe it does help on exit, but any advantage there seems pointless if its loose on entry/mid corner

it does spin off the corners as I said, but its manageable, probably would be faster if I could get it to hook better on exit

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor