Owned my El Camino 43 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2023
Bought my '79 new in 1980, we've been through a lot through the years. I've done a lot of minor changes, but left the drivetrain stock. Sure would like to upgrade the 305, 200 metric trans, and 2:41 rear axle to some thing more "alive"! Has Recaro seats (best upgrade I ever did), custom steering steering wheel, more. Helped many friends move, hauled furniture, lumber, motorcycles, garden supplies. Suspension mods, lowered 1"- 26" bed height means easy loading, unlike most new trucks.

Attachments

• IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    955.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Recovered them last year, I bought them used around 1982. Solid, correct, simple seating: not heated or air conditioned, no air lumbar/compressor, no electric adjustments, no massage, no air bags. You can drive two states away in them, no problem.

Attachments

• IMG_5686.JPG
    IMG_5686.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users
Welcome aboard!
Nice ride. I like to see stories from original owners. also love the Recaro seats. They look like they'd be comfy on a road trip. (y):cool:
Looks like you added an additional arm rest pad to the existing console door pad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Love the seats!

Changing from 2.41 open to 3.55 posi from quick performance was an amazing upgrade. I'm sure it would really wake the car up. But then you lose the highway cruise until you swap to a 2004R. None of that would be inconsistent with a later SBC swap you likely don't need.

Welcome aboard!
Nice ride. I like to see stories from original owners. also love the Recaro seats. They look like they'd be comfy on a road trip. (y):cool:
Looks like you added an additional arm rest pad to the existing console door pad.
Yes, when I found the Recaros I added a Cutlass center console and padded the top to match the new upholstery. Seat center sections are perforated vinyl. Seats and steering wheel upgrades well worth it- I appreciate them every time I drive it.

Attachments

• IMG_5690.JPG
    IMG_5690.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: 1 users
The 305/TH200R4 is what comes stock in the 85 Monte. They are a well matched pair that will give you thousands of miles of reliable driving. The argument for more cubes is about as old as the garden of eden. And one option to the 200 is the 700R4 Either way you get a good t-box that can support upgrades and be upgraded itself.

You can wake up the 05 with an RV type hydraulic cam which typically possesses a close to stock lift but extends the duration time for better intake and exhaust events that will improve your low end and acceleration. They work well with a small 650-ish 4 barrel and matching intake and, as always, hedders.

But in this case i would wonder why? You have a good combinaton as is and the transmission swap is almost a bolt in. The only things you might have to play with would be the flex plate, the TV cable adjustment and maybe the front driveshaft slip yoke. For the "while you're in there" thing to do, maybe replace the starter; they tend to be reliable until they aren't (Ask me how I know that)

Oh yeah, pictures. this bunch almost salivates at the mention of pictures. They are a very visually oriented crew that subscribe wholeheartedly to a belief in the concept of a picture being worth a thousand words.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users
Welcome to the forum. Love the fact you 'use' your Elky. I would do the transmission swap (I like the 200-4r) and a gear swap to around 3.43, posi of course, and you will fall in love all over again.
Again, welcome.

Welcome to the site. Nice looking El Camino! I agree wholeheartedly on the Recaro seats. Not cheap, but definitely worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor