Paint ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
My buddy just gave me some leftover paint. It is Sherwin Williams Genesis 3.5 VOC single stage paint. It is oceanic blue with black licorice, metallic and and magenta......I really can't read the label as some paint got on it. It looks like a dark blue with metal flake, Kind of what my original paint looks like but darker. The label says it was mixed back in 06.Questions are: Could it be still used? Any issues on it being mixed that long ago? I was thinking about taking it to the paint store and having them check it out. I have about a gallon of it and some primer reducer and other odds and ends.You think i could use it or just save up to buy some new paint?
Thanks for any input

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
That's what i was thinking about. :D Is a gallon enough to paint my GP? I will see what primer,sealer & reducer would be compatible.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
85GPLef41 said:
That's what i was thinking about. :D Is a gallon enough to paint my GP? I will see what primer,sealer & reducer would be compatible.

One gallon will be cutting it close, it all depends on what type of gun you will be using (hvlp or standard) and how thorough of a paint job you are doing. I used 5 qts on my bu (hvlp gun), but I could have used an extra qt. But I also was dealing with a 4dr, so I had two extra doors, and jambs to do, so a gallon might just do. Not familiar with the sherwan paint as far as shelf life goes, but the other single stages I have worked with had a life of about 5 years (if stored properly), the hardener had a life span of only a few months though.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Stoopud said:
We used under a gallon to paint my GP/GTO and had no issues. Just use tinted primer and you should have no issues with coverage.

great suggestion with the tinted primer and I would add head to the paint shop and they should have a chart with different color primers that disappear when overlayed with different color top coats so you can choose the right tint primer for the color of the top coat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor