painting a chrome bumper

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamon8

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2008
southern IL
I do not want to replace the bumper and there is rust bubbles that are flakeing off

what would you guys do to prep a chrome bumper for paint

thanks

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
know anyone with a sandblaster?

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
You have to strip all the chrome off or the paint won't stick for long sandblaster or grinder will take the chrome off.Once the chrome is off then its bare metal its like any other body part prime color then clear.

ryanelco

Apprentice
May 9, 2007
i heard somewhere oven cleaner takes chrome plating off of metal. i have not tried this so i can not verify it, but if you want to try something else grind down all of the imperfections in the bumper and then buy an adhesion product at your local auto parts store. i forget what its called but its in an aerosol can. somebody recently used it on their inner-fenders and it worked great. after that you can paint it any color you want. depending on your vehicle they may also sell fiberglass replacement bumpers as well. good luck.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
Chrome off plastic yes metal i doubt but try it.Also something to thing about smoothing the bumper which means cutting the heads off the bumper bolts and welding the bolts on the bumper.

hillbillydeluxe305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 2, 2008
gaylordsville, Connecticut
painting a chrome bumper alot of people tell me to scuff it real good with 80 grit sandpaper and prime the hell out of it with an epoxy or an etch primer the etch makes more sense then primer surfacer to build up inside the remaining scratches then paint it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor