Panel bond adhesive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Unless you have access to the special 2 part epoxy dispensing guns your options a somewhat limited. I always went with the slowest one when I did semi hood inner structures for work time and strength. You can probably get by with a quickest for small tabs

Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I think you want something like sem quickset50 that's my evil bodyman go to muhaaaaa

Reactions: 1 users

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
The plastic is ABS.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Windshield urethane also works and is readily available.

Panel bonding adhesives like the 3M 08115 are meant for bonding to bare metal. You probably don't want to grind the paint off of your car

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Windshield urethane also works and is readily available.

Panel bonding adhesives like the 3M 08115 are meant for bonding to bare metal. You probably don't want to grind the paint off of your car
This is not bonding to anything painted. I am bonding tabs to a plastic piece that will get screws into the tabs from the inside of the driver door. I need to bond the tabs to the plastic panel and be sure they will not separate from the panel at highway speed.

door.png

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I see where you're going with it now

Your car, your choice, but I would not want to perforate an exterior panel for screws unless I was able to ensure there was no way for water intrusion into those holes.

Are you opposed to urethaning the cladding directly to the panel? Would be one less potential area for corrosion, especially given the conditions in your location.

I would encourage the use of a cavity wax after installation to help prevent issues down the line.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
This is not bonding to anything painted. I am bonding tabs to a plastic piece that will get screws into the tabs from the inside of the driver door. I need to bond the tabs to the plastic panel and be sure they will not separate from the panel at highway speed.

View attachment 133824
So how was this piece originally designed to be mounted to the door?
On my ground effects which are fiberglass they have a steel threaded insert glassed to that piece and then the bolts go through the inside of the door into these inserts to secure it.

Attachments

• 20200118_101337-1.jpg
    20200118_101337-1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 117

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
The kit is ABS plastic and there were plastic pieces that were supposed to be epoxied onto the plastic. They didn't work long term so I am trying to come up with a better solution.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
The kit is ABS plastic and there were plastic pieces that were supposed to be epoxied onto the plastic. They didn't work long term so I am trying to come up with a better solution.
I don't know if it's still available but a company called duramix had a product called 40/50 that was for exactly what you are doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor