Passenger front wheel sticks out further than driver side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uamezcua

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2018
The wheel on my passenger side sticks out further than the driver side. Trying to see how to fix this. Body/frame has been aligned. New control arms, coilovers.

Attachments

• 20181019_211933.jpg
    20181019_211933.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 258
  • 20181019_211941.jpg
    20181019_211941.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 406

AZRegal

Greasemonkey
Aug 20, 2017
Mesa AZ
If the body and frame are straight, have you tried switching the wheels side to side to see if the problem is still present or does it change sides? Maybe by some wierd chance you have 1 wheel with a different offset or possibly a different width??? I don't know just throwing out ideas. Are all 4 wheels and tires the same size? If you have a staggered setup with wider wheels and tires in the rear maybe a rear wheel and a front wheel got mixed up at the tire shop.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Uamezcua

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2018
Not uncommon on older cars especially with bigger wheels & sitting lower to see this body misalignment. My passenger side is still a hint tighter after listening mounts & shifting over.
Thanks. Yeah, that's what I have heard. Was hoping someone has tried to fix this. Bugging the hell out of me.

Uamezcua

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2018
If the body and frame are straight, have you tried switching the wheels side to side to see if the problem is still present or does it change sides? Maybe by some wierd chance you have 1 wheel with a different offset or possibly a different width??? I don't know just throwing out ideas. Are all 4 wheels and tires the same size? If you have a staggered setup with wider wheels and tires in the rear maybe a rear wheel and a front wheel got mixed up at the tire shop.
Thanks. Yes, swapped front wheels and confirmed wheels are ok. It's that driver side. Same result after swapping wheels. Offset/width between front and rear is very different. I'm sure wheels are not mixed. Thanks for suggestions.

Haley72692

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 12, 2018
These cars are not very symmetrical when it comes to the body/frame you just don’t notice the wheel fitment as much on a stock car but once you have tighter fitting wheels it shows, my monte is the same way and so wasn’t my brothers 83 cutlass wagon, neither cars have ever been in a wreck

If it bothers me enough I might oblong the front body mount holes to “square it up” but haven’t yet

Reactions: 1 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
What Haley just said backs up what I said. On my front end components last time I reinstalled, I did pry everything over at the old rubber mounts before final tightening. In one spot at the core support I was shimming it up anyways to close the upper door gap & have a bracket running through 1 support bolt that I drilled & bolted down to give a little pull in needed direction.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If thre body and frame are aligned have you checked for any indication the front clip on the frame has been hit? If you measure the x for the front clip in the diagram that will tell you if the frame has been twisted

malibuframepic7ga.jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
It's also possible that the frame is suffering from middle-age spread or sag. Sometimes the upper control arm mounts move in relation to each other as the car ages/goes flying over speed bumps/etc. The crossmember is not as stout as you might think, and like I said, it isn't unusual to see some change over time. It's more common in unitized construction (think Fox Mustang, and all those tower braces), but does happen in frame cars as well.

Point being, if one side needed a bunch more shims to achieve caster/camber within the desired range, that could account for SOME of the difference side to side,

FWIW, my 81 wagon is like that as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor