PCV valves, a complicated subject.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
PCV valves are more complicated than they appear despite just being a spring loaded plunger in a climped together housing. What is complicated are all the different calibrations they are available in. Though first here is a chart that explains PCV valve operation.

pcv_9538c6f6c4d39b23b670c0beb763e658390c9536.gif

As can be seen in the chart above, PCV valves reach max airflow when the pintle is about mid stroke. The chart skips the backfire mode of PCV valves where a backfire creates a pressure front in the vaccum hose to slam the pintle shut to prevent the backfire from reaching the crankcase. PCV valves are available in many combinations of different spring rates and plunger weights to match the vacuum curve of your factory engine. This is why PCV valves commonly have either numbers or letters stamped on the plunger to indicate their specs, this is called the weighting number. A PCV valve's tune is called weighting.

If you modify your engine then the stock spec PCV valve may no longer work correctly. For example, put in a new cam that reduces idle vacuum will require a PCV valve with a lower spring rate and lighter plunger, ie a weight load to prevent a idle vacuum leak due to lower idle vacuum. However, charts of the weighting specs for PCV valves are purposely kept hidden from the public so its difficult to cross reference PCV loading for modified or custom engines. A PCV that has a mismatched weight for your vacuum curve can cause all sorts of bizarre tuning issues. Even if your engine is bone stock, you still might have PCV tuning issues as manufacturers have consolidated PCV valve applications. So the replacment valve listed for a stock engine could still be off spec.

pcv-flow.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 5 users

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
Your right on that subject and makes a big difference on vacuum as well. There is a company who makes adjustable PCV valves I have used them. I saw a marked difference in vacuum between an off the shelf k-mart brand and the correct PCV for your engine. They are not all the same.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Your right on that subject and makes a big difference on vacuum as well. There is a company who makes adjustable PCV valves I have used them. I saw a marked difference in vacuum between an off the shelf k-mart brand and the correct PCV for your engine. They are not all the same.
where did you see this difference?

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
where did you see this difference?
In vacuum readings when you attach the vacuum gauge to the carburetor while adjusting for the best vacuum. As the Op stated different engine and cam configurations require different PCV's.
Here is a company that makes adjustable PCV, I have used it successfully - https://mewagner.com/?p=444

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That is great info. I am old enough to remember when PCV was condemned as just another gubmint intrusion that made your car run crappy. As opposed to an open 'road draft tube'. I saw them yanked and plugged and then the car really DID run crappy.

Reactions: 3 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
I noticed a difference in acceleration in my cutlass (radical high compresdion huge cam) between running 2 breathers and pcv and 1 breather. My el camino(big cam) had pcv valve on one side and sealed oil cap on the other valve cover and there was tremendous crankcase vacuum. Replaced the cap with a breather and seems like throttle response improved, and vacuum increased.

This is a great thread, definitely something worth looking more in to. I'm going to try some different ones and check out that adjustable one.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor