Pennsylvania Member License Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
How do you have your car registered. Ive been putting it off for years and finally am going to do it. Do you have Classic, Antique, etc? Registration is a 1 time $75 fee and that it so it would be worth it.

Does anyone give you a hard time for driver it more then usual?

Let me know your input

hajnovak

Greasemonkey
Jul 12, 2012
scranton Pa
Just did mine this year. I changed to antique tags. One time fee and no inspection stickers and emissions is the reason i did it. I have duels and prob wouldn't pass. Mark

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
hajnovak said:
Just did mine this year. I changed to antique tags. One time fee and no inspection stickers and emissions is the reason i did it. I have duels and prob wouldn't pass. Mark

How often do you drive it? They give you any issues with mileage?

hajnovak

Greasemonkey
Jul 12, 2012
scranton Pa
mainly on the weekends and car shows. my insurance that I carry is for 5000 miles a year. Here is the part of the application that defines use. The use of antique, classic and collectible plates is
governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code which states: “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle
with antique, classic or collectible registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club
activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.” occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as
one day a week. Hope this helps Mark

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
But if you drive it more, how are they going to know? I'm probably just going to put regular insurance on it. I get a cheap rate, and I take it off for the winter. It might be a little more then what I would be paying with classic insurance. I usually only drive it on the weekends and maybe 1 or 2 times to work a month.

thor4sur

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 23, 2007
P.C. Fl.
I have classic tags on my Malibu . When I did it you had to submit 4 photos ad the car had to be stock appearing ,IE no mags, custom paint, hood scoops ...ect. ! I know the antique tag is worse they want a Hershey quality restoration .A surivor that is dull paint wont get the tag . The guy that runs it is nortorious in the antique car circles .
you almost have to keep insurance all year or you might have to surender the tag . Many insurance co.'s offer a reduced winter rate for indoor stored cars .

Bill

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I am considering getting the classic plates but I have the same concerns over being hassled. My car isn't a daily driver but does get used more than once a week. I want it mainly so in case I can't get it inspected for lack of emissions I'm still ok to drive it in the DAY TIME ONLY, because we all know THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the PA annual SAFETY INSPECTION is lighting.... If the same cop sees you driving with those plates more than you should that cop could ticket you and in my case I'm in a small town with a small police force and it's surrounded by small townships with small police forces so I see the same officers all of the time. In my area at least, car shows and cruises can be found within 20 miles nearly every night of the week in the summer so maybe as long as there is one in the area where I'm seen they won't hassle me.
I think I'll go for it anyway, Maybe I'll make up my own club and carry a couple of conveniently made up club schedules so that I'm always driving for club purposes. After all the one day per week general use isn't strictly defined and is in addition to all the other scenarios you can use it for.
Mostly I'm just sick of paying the DOT and watching them waste money. The corruption scandal with the PA Turnpike is nothing compared to PennDOT.
Don't drop the insurance in the winter, the $tate will make you send in your plate then charge you a $50 re-instatement fee... In the past they were pretty lenient but these days they are strict. They just tried to get me this winter so I had to renew my policy but still got hassled for the week it was uninsured. Had to send in a form stating that the car wasn't driven during that period. That issue alone left me in limbo for a month.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
I've had PA Classic Plates on my Camino since 2005. I've also had classic car insurance for about the same duration. Back in 2009 my employer dropped their company cars, so I drove it every day from spring through late fall when I bought a DD. I never got stopped by the Law, so I never had any issues. I'd guess it could be a problem if you got stopped by the same cop a few days in a row.

Bill

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Thanks for the input. I plan on sending in the paperwork soon to get the plates. I'm also putting in for the vanity one to say "434 Olds". I figure what the hell, even if they do catch me driving to work I'll just explain that I build engines for a living and its good to have on display for customers. Haha.

I don't think im getting the classic insurance yet. But we'll see.

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
hurst1979olds said:
But if you drive it more, how are they going to know? I'm probably just going to put regular insurance on it. I get a cheap rate, and I take it off for the winter. It might be a little more then what I would be paying with classic insurance. I usually only drive it on the weekends and maybe 1 or 2 times to work a month.

If rack up to many miles
hurst1979olds said:
Thanks for the input. I plan on sending in the paperwork soon to get the plates. I'm also putting in for the vanity one to say "434 Olds". I figure what the hell, even if they do catch me driving to work I'll just explain that I build engines for a living and its good to have on display for customers. Haha.

I don't think im getting the classic insurance yet. But we'll see.

I didn't think could get vanity on antique or classic .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor