picked up a 442 parts car today...

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I believe the sway bar should have a little nipple on it straight out on the tip of the sway bar ends. That's the fat F41 bar.

Did you check the carb number yet? Here's a pic of one of the ones I had in the shop showing that 5 over stamp. It was date-code stamped 1574, which is the 157th day of 1984 (a leap year). After the 1984 production run. That means it was made June 5th, 1984. A Tuesday. The JCY was overstamped as well on the 84 carb.

Carb number factory restamped.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

jadigen

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2017
S.Jersey
I believe the sway bar should have a little nipple on it straight out on the tip of the sway bar ends. That's the fat F41 bar.

Did you check the carb number yet? Here's a pic of one of the ones I had in the shop showing that 5 over stamp. It was date-code stamped 1574, which is the 157th day of 1984 (a leap year). After the 1984 production run. That means it was made June 5th, 1984. A Tuesday. The JCY was overstamped as well on the 84 carb.

View attachment 137906

if its not raining i'll check the carb tomorrow..

front sway bar measured about 33mm.. thats the big one correct?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
if its not raining i'll check the carb tomorrow..

front sway bar measured about 33mm.. thats the big one correct?
Yes. Specs list it as 32mm (1.26"). That's the F41 HD stabilizer shaft, p/n 472116. It may be rust expanding that measurement a bit.

Reactions: 2 users

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
How rusty is the under side? That is what counts, the parts that unbolt are easy fixes. The car would be worth saving if it doesn't have a ton of rust. Even if it just needs small patches, a 442 is going to hold more value in the long term over a regular cutlass. The 442 is dang near the same car as a grand national minus the engine and this already had a olds 350 in it. 25 year into the g body game, I have watched prices of cars and parts the entire time, the turbo buicks and 442s are the ones that are and will continue holding higher value.

Last edited:

jadigen

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2017
S.Jersey
i hear what you are saying and agree to a point... problem is i can do a quick search and find quite a few nice hurst and 442 cars for sale for under 20k. this thing will cost more then 20k to make nice and it will never be numbers matching which in my opinion hurts value. i guess if someone really wanted it before i took it apart and made me an offer i couldn't refuse then i'd sell it. i just don't see that happening though so i'll just pull it apart and use the stuff i want on my cutlass, my buddy is buying all the T-Top stuff and maybe the quarters. the rest will be sold or scrapped. i just can't justify putting the money into it restoring it. i'd have to wait another 20 years for it to maybe be worth what i have into it then..

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
i hear what you are saying and agree to a point... problem is i can do a quick search and find quite a few nice hurst and 442 cars for sale for under 20k. this thing will cost more then 20k to make nice and it will never be numbers matching which in my opinion hurts value. i guess if someone really wanted it before i took it apart and made me an offer i couldn't refuse then i'd sell it. i just don't see that happening though so i'll just pull it apart and use the stuff i want on my cutlass, my buddy is buying all the T-Top stuff and maybe the quarters. the rest will be sold or scrapped. i just can't justify putting the money into it restoring it. i'd have to wait another 20 years for it to maybe be worth what i have into it then..
I’m in the same boat as you with the 79 I picked up. As much as I want to save it’s just not worth it.

jadigen

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2017
S.Jersey

View attachment 137906

Looks like it was stamped like you said.

Attachments

• IMG_20200303_123820.jpg
    IMG_20200303_123820.jpg
    897.3 KB · Views: 10

jadigen

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2017
S.Jersey
I’m in the same boat as you with the 79 I picked up. As much as I want to save it’s just not worth it.

Yes in a Perfect world I'd be able to save it. But in my world I just can't justify spending that time and money.

And hey other ones just became worth more with one less around. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor