Picking exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You might as well plan for future power upgrades and throw on a 4-1/2" exhaust system. lol

normal_IMG_0329.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
You might as well plan for future power upgrades and throw on a 4-1/2" exhaust system.

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I run a single 4" off the turbo and I worry that it's too small :):)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I run a single 4" off the turbo and I worry that it's too small :):)

I know a shop who specialized in turbo buicks and their performance exhaust was a single 3" pipe. Those cars were set up for the track and did very well with a few other upgrades. The shop is now closed and the owner has passed away.

Reactions: 1 user

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
While I was researching what others had done for exhaust when I swapped in the higher hp motor I read of some nasty turbo imports running over 900 hp through a single 3" exhaust. These guys were serious! And I honestly was quite surprised they went with that small a system, but maybe the increased velocity of the smaller single pipe helped build low end and mid range where those little motors lack.

That 4.5" system looks incredible!

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The key to making power with a turbo is zero backpressure. If the outlet of the turbo is around 3" and the muffler is straight thru 3", running a mandrel bent single 3" shouldn"t give it much backpressure.

Smaller pipes NEVER help a turbo motor, but as long as they don"t create backpressure at the max flow rate, they won"t hurt, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor