PICS of my 79 Salon on Spohn web site & build info

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkman1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
http://www.spohn.net/shop/1978-1987-GM- ... y-Bar.html

Hey, check the before and after photos of my car on the Spohn website using their #920 rear anti-roll bar. The car has a 4.4" stroked 455, 4.10's, ported Edelbrocks by Dick Miller, solid roller cam, yada, yada. 3500# with he-man driver. Best so far 10.75 @ 124 mph.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Re: photos of my 79 Salon on Spohn web site

Hey. Car looks great, Like the body style.

Doug

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

Wow thats a long stroke. With traction it should be deadly consistent. Is that a pump gas build? What kind of bore did you use with it? You might consider putting some pics & info on the motor & car in the photo album.

yorkman1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009

I designed this engine before the Eagle stroker kits were available. I wanted to build a long rod stroker around a set of Eagle 7.1" rods with BBC bearings. The pistons are .020" over 396 Aires pistons with custom pin heights. My machinist suggested the 4.145" bore to keep as much metal in the block as he could. The stroke is 4.40" so it computes to 475 inches. The mains have studs and straps. The block is "O" ringed and the heads are held down with 1/2" diameter studs. The cam is a Bullet custom grind solid roller with 258 duration @ .050" and .640" lift I&E. The heads are Edelbrocks hand ported by Dick Miller and flow 290+ cfm intake. 640 was the maximum lift we could fit without installing longer valves. The intake is an Offy Port-O-Sonic with a 1000 cfm HP Holley 4150. The headers are Kooks 2" raised port into a 3" Pypes X pipe full exhaust. The ignition is all MSD. The compression is just under 11 to 1 and the engine runs fine on 93 Octane pump gas. Th400 w/ trans brake and Pro-Torque converter, 8.5" 10 bolt GN rear with Moser spool and 33 spline axels and 4.10 gears. The engine revs freely to 6,500 rpm but I have a 6,600 rev limiter. It will rev higher but I don't want to go there. I have a 6 point roll bar, plastic seats, no heater or AC, glass hood and bumpers, aluminum bumper braces, no rug or back seat, and no door beams. It stays cool will dual electric fans and a Be-Cool radiator. Fuel is supplied from a sumped tank by an Aeromotive pump and return style regulator. I'm still tweaking the chasis and getting low 1.5 sec 60' times. The car runs very consistant 10.80's thru a full exhaust system at 3500# w/ driver.The body is so rare most people don't have any idea what make it is. The Spohn rear bar took the twist out of it and it rides good on the street, unlike the race only bars mounted above the rear.

yorkman1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
Re:engine build data

I added some build data in the above post.

yorkman1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
Did anybody check out the pictures they used on the web site?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
yorkman1 said:
Did anybody check out the pictures they used on the web site?
I never see that body style anymore and it sure leaves nice and straight now compared to the before picture. What was your rear set up before the Spohn bar?

yorkman1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
My previous rear set-up used the same Edelbrock tubular lower arms and the same upper arms with sperical ends, plus a fat 1-1/8" Hotchkiss stock style rear sway bar. I even tried air bags (seen in the picture) but they didn't starighten me out. The air bags are still in the springs but not connected. The street ride is still good, unlike the short bars mounted above the axle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor