Pipe plug size for exhaust manifolds on 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
1986 305 LG4

Found out today I have no cat; explains why my AIR/SMOG pump has a giant hose going nowhere. So now I get real dual exhaust next week, what a bonus Friday!

I'm considering taking out the AIR pump and its devices. When/if I get those brass/copper line things off the manifolds, what exact size plug do I need to replace them with? I don't want any exhaust leaks coming out of a manifold. It's not something I need to do, but it sure would make it easier to replace crap like the spark plugs.

I saw (but also saw it disputed) through Googling that NPT 1/4 thread pipe plugs will do the trick. Is that true? What length would I need to buy, or are plugs standard length? I've never even bought a pipe plug before, so other than figuring out how to righty tighty them on there, I'm clueless.

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
I did this to the old 86 Buick Regal I had. Those are the correct size and the ones I bought had a recessed hex head and were approximately 5/8" in length. You can pick them up at any hardware store.

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
mkiiisupra said:
I did this to the old 86 Buick Regal I had. Those are the correct size and the ones I bought had a recessed hex head and were approximately 5/8" in length. You can pick them up at any hardware store.

So I should get NPT 1/4 inch thread pipe plugs 5/8 inches long? Any idea the easiest way to get em?

torjan said:
better think on getting some cheap shorty headers ;)
and forget the cast stock manifolds

I'm not souping it up, so headers are out of the question. It would be nice to get the manifolds from a 305 HO engine but even that's too much $$ to spend on this thing. Then there's how much I'd have to pay a shop to install them, etc. It would be nice though if I could do it for free.

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
305 manifolds Aren't any better headers wood be the best thing but since u are just not worried bout power then manifolds will work just fine. I got my hole exhaust done with 2 1/2 pipe and to flowmasters dumped than axle for 135 so it wasn't to expensive really

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Yea it couldn't hurt to use some

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor